• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

v8 cherokee

dude theres nothing cooler than putting a bigger, badder, more powerful motor in any vehicle. period. You are all on the same page with wanting more power. And putting a chevy 350 into an xj is awesome, you get a lighter, more powerful, more efficient motor. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT?

If you try to mount the 5.2 or 5.9 in a XJ using the ZJ mounts, be aware that while the frames look the same, and the frame side mounts will physically fit, the XJ DOES NOT have a thick "frame" at the spot where the mounts will fall. I got a chance to compare the framerails on both Jeeps recently in the junkyard. Nuts... so much for "factory installed", no work required. Oh, well. Time for the 340hp/400lbft 93Cobra-based 347 stroker! :) (THAT ought to jerk a few chains... hee,hee.)

Last edited:
whompinxj said:
dude theres nothing cooler than putting a bigger, badder, more powerful motor in any vehicle. period. You are all on the same page with wanting more power. And putting a chevy 350 into an xj is awesome, you get a lighter, more powerful, more efficient motor. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT?
Never said anything was wrong with it, just stated the facts and my opinion behind it

I see a lot of, I've got this and I've got that in my XJ, but seldome do I see proof of such wizardry. Would you tech gurus put your money where it counts and show us the money shots? Personally, I can't stand the suspense of it all.......... Been looking at a LS1 for mine, the itch, it's almost.......unbearable.....Gon'na.......... crack.....Can't .....take it........ anymore.......

Phil :canada::laugh3:

flyingphil said:
I see a lot of, I've got this and I've got that in my XJ, but seldome do I see proof of such wizardry. Would you tech gurus put your money where it counts and show us the money shots? Personally, I can't stand the suspense of it all.......... Been looking at a LS1 for mine, the itch, it's almost.......unbearable.....Gon'na.......... crack.....Can't .....take it........ anymore.......

Phil :canada::laugh3:

SBC, I6 4.0L, LS1, LT1, Honda 4 banger, Lamborghini V12 doesn't matter. Any engine can be put into any vehicle with enough cutting, creativity, and fabrication. I agree, they're all creative and all different taste and opinions, as for me, we will never see an XJ on the NHRA circuit and with the right gearing and aftermarket equipment you could climb a verticle wall with a briggs and stratton 11hp lawn mower engine under the hood. Makes no difference to me,.... your honor I rest my case and would like to be excused from the courtroom (aka, this post) peace out!!

It's just fund to watch you defend that which is indefensible, and I quote: "---I simply implied that you could do just as much with an I6 as the V8." Why don't they put I6's in Vettes, Mustangs, and other "go-fast, modern cars? The answere, my friend, is blowing in the wind--I6's will not match a V8:dunno:

Yep- build a 4.x whatever derivative to equal a V-8, then just bolt another part on the 8 and start over. Pretty soon there's nothing more that can be done to the 6. I see a big reliability ceiling at maybe 500 hp for the 4.x while the right 8 could hold 1000 for quite a while. But that's all just bench racing anyway, I don't think anybody's getting quite that crazy.

Last edited:
xjbubba said:
It's just fund to watch you defend that which is indefensible, and I quote: "---I simply implied that you could do just as much with an I6 as the V8." Why don't they put I6's in Vettes, Mustangs, and other "go-fast, modern cars? The answere, my friend, is blowing in the wind--I6's will not match a V8:dunno:
And again I say you will never drag race your xj on pinks, the I6 is sufficient. You can wheel an xj with an I6 just as hard as one with a V8. As for using the I6 in fast cars, pop the hood on a Toyota Supra, or many families of the BMW sports coupes, or some Porsche. The gain that you get from a V8 swap is not a useful one, with gearing and an I6 you can climb, crawl, mud all the same. Big american muscle has its place, and it was never intended in the xj.

mgreen84 said:
The gain that you get from a V8 swap is not a useful one, with gearing and an I6 you can climb, crawl, mud all the same. Big american muscle has its place, and it was never intended in the xj.

Oh boy. :laugh2:

88XSJlover, as I recall, my stock 4.0L XJ weighed arround 3200 lbs. I got right at 20MPG on the highway. Her current weight is 4200lbs. At that weight, my mileage was down to ~14MPG! Both mileage estimates were based on camping/off-road trips, meaning fully loaded for "bear"(more weight). After my V8 SBC install, my mileage jumped back to 20+, same bases. Where my V8 loafs along, the 4.0 was being pushed. Going up long hills, I'd find myself over in the slow lane--with the semi's--or run at 3500+ rpm to stay with traffic. Now, with the V8, I can run with the "big dogs", and my mileage has improved significantly. The biggest factor regarding mileage is vehicle weight. Put an under powered engine in a vehicle too heavy for the engine's torque curve, and mileage will suffer. The 4.0L engine is great for crawling, but falls short on the highway. The SBC is great for both.

A bigger source of power works at a lower level of strain to do the work of the smaller power source. Hmm, makes sense to me. Like swapping from a 4.0 to a 347 V-8. Not to mention that often the bigger motor weighs LESS than the 4.0, which adds to less strain on the motor to move the vehicles' weight...

You guys are all wrong....you need a mighty 2.5 ;) and its 175 pounds lighter.

you mean the mighty 2.5 06' wrx motor, right. fwiw that motor puts out ALOT more power then the 4.0 h.o. and it actually has great low end starting at about 1500 and redlines i think at 6500, with a much better power band. But i doubt it could fit in the frameish rails.

no one on here is talking about drag racing, and to compare a import street motor to our i-6, is just going to make the 4.0 look all that much worse. Our i-6 have very little in common with those.

Turbo-charged, 2.5L Subaru WRX: 250HP at 6000rpm (wear ear plugs); 290LBSFT at 4400 RPM--torque at 1750?
SBC 350 (typical): 280HP at 5000 RPM; 343 LBSFT at 1750, and 375 LBSFT at 3500. Now, of course, the WRX is a factory go-fast, while the SBC given as an example here, is "typical". For off-roading, you want torque, and you want it down low--like the SBC, and the 4.0L, as well. The SBC makes more torque idling than the WRX can ever muster.

The fact that a 4.0 runs as well as it does is amazing....internally, it's 50's technology, designed only to be inexpensive to produce and reliable when used as intended....with sufficient power output for normal street use...those are the facts.

Addendum: The motor wasn't designed in the 50's, but was designed by engineers with their training and experience from that era....which by the way, Hudson, which was bought up by AMC kicked serious butt in the old NASCAR days....Ol' Smokey Yunick built some serious Hudson Hornet I-6s.

And Bubba.....that swap looks sweet:yelclap:

I think its all about gearing. You can have big torquey V8 with tall gears or you can have a 4 banger wih really short gears.....and they will wheel about the same.

The I6 is just the best of both and can get away with a little too tall or too short gears.

I dig the idea of droping 8 cyls in a XJ or MJ platform .
But then again straight sixes have had a long proveen history just like the V8 .
Heck wanna talk GM ? what about the HP and torque on those straigh sixes in Trailblazers ? more HP than a explorer V* right? .... stock

Back