• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using a high low adapter

nateofmt1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a bumper with a swing out tire carrier on it. The bumper also has a hitch receiver under it.

I just purchased a winch and cradle so that I can use it at either end of the XJ.

Now, the problem is that in order for the winch to clear the rear tire, without having to swing it out of the way, I have to have the receiver 6" lower.

I found http://roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/hitch.html RM-048-6 which would work as far as getting it low enough.

My concern is whether the hi low is too weak to handle winching from a semi- to completely vertical pull? It is rated for 400 lbs tongue weight and 10,000 lbs gvw. According to one site it stated that it would not be recommended but that is just one opinion I found.

So a) is it not advisable? And if not, then is there b) one that would work, or c) a way to design one to work? Thanks

Using a multimount winch hooked to a bumper is not the best way. Most bumpers are not strong enough and hooked to the frame well enough. Never use a drop hitch adapter to pull from. You will bend the bumper and rip it off the vehicle, possibly hurting someone severely. If you have to winch and use the multimount, remove the tire first so it will go into the bumper straight.

Thank you for the feedback.

Both the front and rear are custom bumpers and are integrated into the frame strong enough in multiple areas that being ripped off isn't any more of a concern than a winch bumper would pose. The receivers in the bumpers are in no danger of being pulled apart, either.

However, after I posted the question, I thought more about the torque that could be seen by that hi low at the winch end. Especially if I had to pull from lower than the winch. This would produce tremendous force downward. Basically it would end up as 4000 lbs hanging off of a 10" lever and hoping the lever rated for 400 lbs total would support it. Something would give.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be any safe way to do that and so I will just swing the tire out of the way.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Just read about a Warn winch that was installed upside down in a TrailReady bumper (installed by TrailReady - not a hack job). What would stop me from running the winch I have upside down? It will fit no problem that way. Then I could keep the spare arm closed and out of the way. Sending an e-mail off to the mfg right now.

http://trailready.com/bumpers/ford_superduty.html#rockcrawler

The winch does not know if it is upside down, so if need be, you can run them upside down. I've seen them mounted that way on gooseneck trailers before. Just keep in mind when inverting it that it is made to pull in one direction.

Better watch out, the electrons will fall out.

Back