• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper CA axle bushing replacement

Nope, it's the right one. The same one fit just fine on the pass side. I've tried the RE and the Napa uca bushings. They'll just barely start in the hole on the pumpkin.

I'll be getting a tool for it and trying that route. But it doesn't look possible, unless that outer sleave compresses quite a bit. I'll try the freezer idea too. They are rubber.

What other size are you talking about? LCA frame side bushings?

CB

C.B.
I think it's the frame end.... I did mine a year ago & there were two sizes.... I got so pissed cause I broke a vise thats been in the family for 40 yrs. that I went & got a budget hydralic press to push out the old & in the new on my R.E. arms.
Good Luck !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Anyone have a Moog part # for these upper axle bushings?
Can seem to find them at Autozone or O'Reilly's ( I have no NAPA near by).

TIA

pair8hd said:
Anyone have a Moog part # for these upper axle bushings?
Can seem to find them at Autozone or O'Reilly's ( I have no NAPA near by).

TIA

The Moog# is K3128!

Damn, I guess this hasn't come up for awhile. I don't have them any more, but when I used to have to change my UCA axle bushings regularly I could do one, start to finish, in about 15 minutes. The key is having the right tool.

Take a length of 2.5" exhaust tubing, just long enough for the bushing to fit into the tubing, and weld a large flat washer on one end. Get a length of all thread rod, a couple of long nuts, and an assortment of washers. Put the bushing tool (cup) up against the bushing, put the threaded rod through the hole, put on the washers and nuts, and tighten the nut to pull out the bushing. It will come right out. Now, put the tool on the other side of the mount, and reverse the process to install the new bushing.

It's easy to make the tool, and it then becomes easy to remove and install those bushings. I also did it once with my Harbor Freight ball joint press, which worked fine, but I still think it was easier with the simple bushing tool.

Goatman said:
Damn, I guess this hasn't come up for awhile. I don't have them any more, but when I used to have to change my UCA axle bushings regularly I could do one, start to finish, in about 15 minutes. The key is having the right tool.

Take a length of 2.5" exhaust tubing, just long enough for the bushing to fit into the tubing, and weld a large flat washer on one end. Get a length of all thread rod, a couple of long nuts, and an assortment of washers. Put the bushing tool (cup) up against the bushing, put the threaded rod through the hole, put on the washers and nuts, and tighten the nut to pull out the bushing. It will come right out. Now, put the tool on the other side of the mount, and reverse the process to install the new bushing.

It's easy to make the tool, and it then becomes easy to remove and install those bushings. I also did it once with my Harbor Freight ball joint press, which worked fine, but I still think it was easier with the simple bushing tool.

I like your 'tool' idea better than the ball joint press (which is what I've used).

Goatman said:

Well I agree with Gman on the home made tool BUT ! it didn't work for me....
Maybe mine was alittle tighter than others. It took me alittle while to get the tool made & only afew mins. to break it....
I would of been time & exteme frustration ahead if I'd just got the balljoint
press or the hyd. press (which I did) in the first place. I think Auto Zone has
a tool loan program. On the Dr. side bushing on the axle I just used a air hammer/chisel to hammer it out..... 5 mins. about 5 mins. to install.
Bottom line.... I have to do things AT LEAST ! twice before getting it right.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

GSequoia said:
Well, my only concern is that I don't have an air hammer and can't afford to buy one (I'm seriously broke right now)...So I'm thinking of getting creative with lube, BFH, impact gun (it kinda punches in a little..hehe), and fire...we'll see! Plus I do have the permi-lubed undercarriage, so that's cool.

Sequoia
Perma lubed undercarriage and fire sounds like an interesting combo. Better have a nomex suit and fire extinguisher handy.

Dan

Dan Turner said:
Perma lubed undercarriage and fire sounds like an interesting combo. Better have a nomex suit and fire extinguisher handy.

Dan
Hey Dan.... you wanna hear about the time when Sequoia was cutting the plastic skid wanna be thing from the tank? Story includes an exacto knife and a propane torch.

ANyways the tool that Goat described worked good for me on 3 out of 4 bushings (had to do it twice! on two axles). One of the bushings (of course it was the drivers side one on the pumkpin) was near welded inside. I ended up drilling the rubber out, bending and folding the metal piece and then sliding it out (the bending and folding was actually somewhat hard and included some work with a metal saw).

Mine usually fall out when it's time to replace them, however, I had to coerce one or two before. Used a big impact socket that just fit on the bushing shell and then the trusty BFH. For putting them back in I used the freezer for the bushing and then pushed it in with a big C Clamp using two steel plates on each side of it (one against the ear on the housing, the other on the outside of the bushing). Then when I could not get it any further (pumpkin side), I tapped it home with a hammer and socket. Note that the bushing on the pumpkin end does not insert all the way in. Kind of a goofy setup, but that's Jeep for ya. I also tack welded the passenger side one this last time because it always gets loose and wobbles around after a bit of flexing. I have really looked hard at the Currie conversion to Johnny Joints on the axle end, but I also have Superflex joints on the body side and worry about a hard hit transmitting all the shock to something other than the bushing..... Anyone using these?

Back