• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading headlight?

that price on the housings is not bad! $50 for the bulbs tho... wow.

installing the harness only, made a big difference for me... i'm gona go w/the silverstars.

The PIAAs are 60/55, stock wattage. The 110/100 is pure nonsense. There are better bulbs for less money and the blue coating just makes your lights dimmer. A quality 60/55 un-coated bulb would put off more light. Narva, Phlillips, and Osram make good bulbs.

I believe the Putco harness has two positive leads. I don't know how its wired, but I would assume one is for highs, one for lows. If you are staying with stock wattage a 20 amp fuse in each would be fine.

I believe the Putco harness has two positive leads. I don't know how its wired, but I would assume one is for highs, one for lows. If you are staying with stock wattage a 20 amp fuse in each would be fine.

That is correct. I believe the ends of the leads are actually fusible links, but I popped the terminals out of the plug at that end, and replaced them with fuse holders. I've been running 15 and 20 amp fuses without any issues since I put it in a few years ago.

Ive been reading that the relays on these harnesses are notorious for going out and that they can be easily replaced by honda ones. Are these honda one plug and play or will I have to do some work to make it fit?

Ive been reading that the relays on these harnesses are notorious for going out and that they can be easily replaced by honda ones. Are these honda one plug and play or will I have to do some work to make it fit?

Mine are a few years old, and still working fine. It's a pretty common style of relay, just not in Jeeps. Buying replacements is easier than hacking up your wiring, but you could do that too.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-PL-RY1-Auxiliary-Lighting-Accessory/dp/B000BL2Z3I

Found this in one of the other 900 headlight threads.

You can use an Assy relay off of hondas, its the same thing

You can look under Honda s2000 2000-2007, Pilot 03-07, Prelude 97-01, CR-V 91-01, Odyssey 95-98, Civic 2d 96-00 or 4d 98-00, Accord 2d 98-02 or 4dr 98-02.

The honda part number is 39797-SE0-004

Use plain white 60/55w bulbs. With better light production and more focused light from the housings, you don't need brighter bulbs.

e-autoworks harness does have fusible links.

Honda relay for e-autoworks is plug and play. The Honda part number is 39797-SE0-004

Use plain white 60/55w bulbs. With better light production and more focused light from the housings, you don't need brighter bulbs.

e-autoworks harness does have fusible links.

Honda relay for e-autoworks is plug and play. The Honda part number is 39797-SE0-004

Also, I heard a BW-4136 relay works also.

Anybody measured out the voltage prior to installing a headlight wiring harness and after installing it? I'm curious what the voltage difference is between before and after...

Anybody measured out the voltage prior to installing a headlight wiring harness and after installing it? I'm curious what the voltage difference is between before and after...

I read it somewhere in a thread where a guy made his own harness. IIRC, he started out just a tad over 10V and ended up at 12.5 with the harness.

I made a harness for my old CJ-8 about 18 years ago way before the internet was huge,got the idea from Jeep-L if anybody remembers that mailing list. The difference it made was huge. I want to do something to my XJ's headlights(and my CJ-7) also. We just got a 2000 VW beetle and the headlights on that look like daylight compared to my Jeeps. Thinking about the IPF's. I got some Hella 13 years ago with a YJ project but I can't find them:dunno:. Blow your wad and get the trucklite LED headlights only $500.

I made a harness for my old CJ-8 about 18 years ago way before the internet was huge,got the idea from Jeep-L if anybody remembers that mailing list. The difference it made was huge. I want to do something to my XJ's headlights(and my CJ-7) also. We just got a 2000 VW beetle and the headlights on that look like daylight compared to my Jeeps. Thinking about the IPF's. I got some Hella 13 years ago with a YJ project but I can't find them:dunno:. Blow your wad and get the trucklite LED headlights only $500.

Autopals with 60/55 bulbs and the harness. Works great and it's inexpensive.

Current hella lens are $40-45 apiece...had some hella ff75's, wish I would have kept them...if I had known I was going to buy a jeep.

Depending on the age of your vehicle and the condition of your headlight switch; the stock voltage to your headlights will be 10.5-11.5VDC. With the new harness installed the voltage should be 13.0-14.5VDC depending upon the condition of your alternator and battery cables.
The voltage to the headlights in my '98 with stock wiring was 11.3V and after fabricating the headlight harness (more than 10 years ago); the voltage was 13.8V.

Depending on the age of your vehicle and the condition of your headlight switch; the stock voltage to your headlights will be 10.5-11.5VDC. With the new harness installed the voltage should be 13.0-14.5VDC depending upon the condition of your alternator and battery cables.
The voltage to the headlights in my '98 with stock wiring was 11.3V and after fabricating the headlight harness (more than 10 years ago); the voltage was 13.8V.

Quite a big jump prior to after the modification

Back