• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unmolested 2001 XJ + New member

As has been said the popping noise is probably the door check. See if the little bracket it goes into at the frame end has worn out, the holes were oval shaped on mine and the popping was the pin bouncing back and forth in the hole. The junkyard guys looked at me funny and told me to just take it when I walked up to the counter with a replacement. Tools required consist of (iirc) a 10mm nutdriver or ratchet wrench and a pair of channel lock pliers or visegrips. Put some spray-on lithium grease on the new one (and all the others on the heep while you're at it) to prolong its life.

As has been said the popping noise is probably the door check. See if the little bracket it goes into at the frame end has worn out, the holes were oval shaped on mine and the popping was the pin bouncing back and forth in the hole. The junkyard guys looked at me funny and told me to just take it when I walked up to the counter with a replacement. Tools required consist of (iirc) a 10mm nutdriver or ratchet wrench and a pair of channel lock pliers or visegrips. Put some spray-on lithium grease on the new one (and all the others on the heep while you're at it) to prolong its life.

yeah after actually looking at both doors, the drivers side door is definitally worn. The hole is an oval now and looks like the bracket needs to be replaced, thanks :)

Back