• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

University of Nebraska, Lincoln Mini Baja buildup thread -

HA HA I now have the enemys plans HA HA.

You're goin down Nefagska!

I think the mini baja project would be better experience if we got to design and build the engine itself as well as the chassis and gearbox.

engine they give us is plenty. 3/4 of the cars there can't even build a suspension that will allow full throttle through the entire course so no reason to give anyone more power. And someone would get seriously hurt with anymore power.

Weasel said:
right, as if we don't have enough to do, lol.

agreed -

update with no pics:
drilled tabs
made shock hoops
made mounts for one A-arm
set the engine in
determined length of needed belt for CVT
started work on bushings for A-arms
made gas pedal bracket

its turning into a monster garage thing - me and the only two other people that care are putting in 6 hour days every time we work on this...

XJ_ranger said:
people that care are putting in 6 hour days every time we work on this...

That's how things get done Opie, and not just in school either.

Stick with it, it looks good.

--ron

getting really close to being ready for the torture tests...here's a spy pics.

Frontshot.jpg

Weasel said:
getting really close to being ready for the torture tests...here's a spy pics.

Frontshot.jpg
bout to go over tonight and do more work on getting the A-arms and engine mounted up...

we'll see...

how much down travel do you have at the wheel with the driver inside?

2" down 4" up. The shocks settle quite a bit with a 150lbs driver in there, with me they hardly move (100lbs) but I've got the pressures mostly figured out. Everything can be tuned for a specific driver.

yep, very progressive spring curve. May add an internal bumpstop but nothing at this time. Our old shocks had rubber snubbers on the end of the shock but they usually just fill full of mud and become solid rubber chunks.

its been a while since ive updated -

about 3 weeks ago - we were givven an ultimatum - have a running baja by May 1, or no competition this year...

Well - we are now 2 days out and here are a few pics -

here is the ablum of all the pics -
http://www.opiebennett.com/MiniBaja/UNLMINIBAJA0506/index.html

here is the basic cage itiration 2 -
img_4907.jpg

its a freeeking caddilac - there is a boatload of room in there...
img_4909.jpg

after a lot of:

Heating and bending metal -
img_4913.jpg

machineing parts and bushings -
img_5012.jpg

cutting myself because we dont have the right tools and our drill press doesnt have a clamp -
img_5013.jpg

fitting and grinding tube and parts -
img_5026.jpg

tack welding parts on -
img_5035.jpg

we got the front and rear shocks mounted, steering mounted, gas and brake pedals mounted, came up with a solution to the front brake calipers, decided how to mount the engine, made the tie rods, and bolted a bunch of junk together -
img_5005.jpg

img_5033.jpg

im dead tired...

It looks very good....it sure is wide though. It sucks they kept the rule the same, but changed the interpretation....it's way too strict. One tech judge didn't want us to pass because our fingerTIPS could pass the roll envelope.

I'm at Villanova University, and we only compete in the east event which was a few weeks ago. We ended up 19th overall with a 2nd place finish in water manuverability, 11th in land manuv (should've been 7th, but they tacked on a 10 second penalty for no reason, and we didn't notice until the finial results were posted....so double check your times after every single event!), and something like 10th in log pull. We just did pretty poorly on reports, and they bashed us in design judging....especially in the water propulsion system. You can see we got 2nd, and hopefully they noticed they were complete fools after that. They seemed to not even listen to what I was saying in design judging. They seemed to go by first appearance, not what you say, and it was really pissing me off.

Anyway...enough of my rambling, it was my last competition, I'm graduating in May. So good luck at your competition guys, it should be a fun one.

Have tons of spare tires....out of 4 years of competitions, we never god a flat, but we got 4 flats during the endurance race this year. That's my little advice. :)

Here are some pictures of our vehicle, if you ahve any questions, feel free to ask.

Land Manuverability - tightest course in the 4 years I've done this, tons of teams jsut got DQ'd from hitting trees
n6100136_30300843_5182.jpg

Suspension and traction-amazing course this year...again, tons of teams got DNF. The jump here caused northeastern to nose dive, full forward roll, and land back on their wheels and finish. It was a good sight. Our CVT starting busting out here, and were having trouble making it up the steep hills...we palced 19th I think. If you use a polaris CVT, check inside the driven clutch for the plastic "rollers" (they arne't really rollers)...well, they tend to wear out, or melt over time :) ) Just some advice.
n6100136_30300850_8896.jpg

and obviously, water manuverability
n6100136_30300826_4508.jpg

n6100136_30300830_6331.jpg

again, good luck, and let us know how it goes.

_nicko_

unfortunately - I wont be going to competiton - I live in California, and the Baja Team is only taking care of travel expenses to/from Nebraska... so...

At this point - i just want to drive the damn thing!

XJ_ranger said:
unfortunately - I wont be going to competiton - I live in California, and the Baja Team is only taking care of travel expenses to/from Nebraska... so...

At this point - i just want to drive the damn thing!

So go to Portland then dirve home? That sucks. And on the design judging you have to be able to get your point acrossed and clearly. Also yes athestics are improtant. How I think they see it is if you know what you are talking about and it's clean then and professional looking then they listen better, if it works well but is all mix-n0match or blacksmithed together, they might not take you seriously.

A big part of engineering is making something that looks good and functions well. No matter how well the Aztec worked it looked like crap, so...

Back