• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unimog axles

Get the portal axles and install them. Some of the Unimogs came stock with 53" tires. You can find them on e-bay in almost new condition for less than $1000 for all four. I've never seen and XJ on 53s! Not only would you get awesome ground clearance from the portals, but the tire size too!

There's a local guy here I think he goes by the username xtremexj on here and pirate and he has a chopped XJ running on 'mogs. A lot of work, but definately a sweet setup.

Mr. Chief, I'd say go and buy that thing right away - it's a steal! I saw a clean 406 with lots of implements that went for $38K on eBay just a couple weeks ago!

And if it's pure rusted out junk, yank the axles and throw them under your XJ. I have yet to see that style Unimog axles under one..

The guy that has the Mog vehicles in Big Bear qouted me $500.00 per axle one time when I asked him about them, he even had one of the troop carrier style ones complete and restored for sale for $9000.00

If I had it, I wouldn't put a gas V8 in it, I'd see about getting a diesel and putting it in there. The low end torque would make that a real stump puller. You can run a snorkel on the intake, and never have to worry about getting your electrical/electronics wet as long as it was an older engine. You could find a inline 5 cylinder Turbo 300D out of a mercedes sedan and probably bolt up easy. Cummings has some good diesels too.

Back