• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

under seat lockbox idea!

ECKSJAY said:
What kind of situations do you find yourself leaving it for a few hours? Only time I'm without is at the courthouse, but that's what they have lockboxes on site for.
here in OH if it's posted on the door you're not legally allowed to carry in the building.
Most county buildings, banks, schools, and bars have it posted on the door.

87manche said:
here in OH if it's posted on the door you're not legally allowed to carry in the building.
Most county buildings, banks, schools, and bars have it posted on the door.

Same here...if it's posted you're not supposed to. However, if you are on private property and for some oddball reason you're discovered as carrying, the most that can be done initially is asking you to leave. If you refuse then that's another story. ;)

I'm not aware of any state with CCW that requires permit holders to carry unloaded. That just wouldn't make sense.

But some states with shall issue still have some rather silly restrictions, like not carrying in bars, churches, and so forth. Those places are private property and their owners are free to restrict carry and should be as free to permit it if they so desire, it seems to me.

Oregon's laws are the least restrictive among states that issue permits. Bars, churches, and so forth are not restricted by the state. Government entities are limited in what they can regulate. Schools can't even prohibit CCW in their (our) properties. And that's fine. If some responsible person wre exersizing their right on one particular day maybe Kip Kinkel wouldn't have shot all those kids, those kids of my friends and my coworkers at the school across town that day. Maybe.

But still, you have to fill out paperwork and pay a fee (tax) to the state to get permission to carry concealed gunz. That is infrigement, and I support nothing less than a repeal of all requirements for government permission to obtain and use guns. Gun control is rooted in racism and I don't believe in either.

packing.org is a little out of date. i would suggest you go get a ccw. its the best way to not worry about it. if you travel into nc they reconigise va's ccw. not sure about wv, tn, or ky. if you transport in va it has to be gun in the trunk and ammo in the glove box or vice versa. va also has an open carry law that allows you to hip carry as long as it is visible and others around you can tell its a gun. you have to open carry in any place that serves alcohol for on site consumption. so you have to open carry in places like applebees and rubytuesdays, places like that. just go to your clerk of circuit court, get the ccw form, instruction sheet, and finger print card. then take a hunters safety course or hand gun safety class. fill out the paperwork infront of a notary public, most banks have someone there that is one, sign the paperwork have her stamp and sign it. then go to the local sheriffs office and have someone finger print you. turn in a copy of your hunters education card or had gun safety course card, your paperwork and a check or cash and wait less than 45 days and your set. va is in the process of accepting all ccw's but its a ways off they are also trying to get recoprocity with every state as well.

I just got done reading this thread...
It makes me sad...
This nation was founded on the right to bear arms. Why are we building lock boxes under our rear seats? Or worse yet, debating if it is legal to carry a Gun in the box that we are thinking about building under our back seat...

I don't want to spark a riot, but what happened to our freedom?

"tear"

Hitler's first step was to remove guns from civilians...

On second thought maybe a riot would be fun..

Originally Posted by ECKSJAY
What kind of situations do you find yourself leaving it for a few hours? Only time I'm without is at the courthouse, but that's what they have lockboxes on site for.

Oddly enough, one of the first things that comes to mind is the local gun show. Sure if you can take your weapon in, but first you must unload it and have a zip tie secured around the action. Which makes it kinda hard to put back in your pocket. Then you have to have something to remove said zip tie when you leave, followed by re-loading your gun in your car. Unless I'm looking for a holster, I usually just leave it in my glove box now. Our city govt building has a few lock boxes, but they are only located outside the jail intake area, as sworn officers are allowed to carry in the rest of the building. There's a strict no weapons policy for everyone else, and no lock boxes for public use. You go through a metal detector, and if you're found with something at that point, it's cofiscated. I'm also uncomfortable carrying into the airport, even if I'm not going past the check in points. Everybody there is so paranoid, I doubt I'd get off so easy as they'd just ask me to leave. In many locales, it's very likely that local LE doesen't know the letter of the law, and if you refuse their commands, you might find yourself arrested, even if you are in the right. Here's a well known incident that's fairly recent:
http://www.packing.org/news/articleview/126/

that's a sad story. :banghead: a while back when i was in uniform and traveling between duty stations, my carry on was searched and i had a pair of those nail clipers that had the little fold out file/ pick on it. the 45 year old woman working security just pulled it out and snapped it off right in front in me.:smsoap: didn't even ask or say anything. now i've never hit a woman in my life, but i swear, i just wanted to clock her in the nose. i used that to clean my cuticles. now i had to go get another one. sure it was only a couple of bucks, but it's the principle of the thing. i asked her about it and she about bit my head off.:gonnablow it's like they think they have a lisence to do anything they want. that still angers me recalling that.

Back