• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

typical overheating issues

What year was this jeep, open or closed cooling system?

Ok well I am starting to get some over heating problems. Fixed one of the problems which was the last owner broke the xj's mud cherry but never sprayed the engine bay nor the radiator. You couldnt even see thru it there was so much mud. I also did the card board trick and my electric fan work great but my fan clutch at any rpm doesnt speed up nor pull the card board to the radiator. It has a brand new water pump, Thermostat, radiator cap all new hoses and heater core by passed and the radiator and all the hoses heat up so I am just hoping its a 40 dollar fan clutch.

could be a fan clutch or a faulty temp sending unit and/or gauge. hit up the housing with an IR temp gun to confirm that. Apparently you can get junk thermostats out the box. you can test them btw. place in a pot of water with a temp guage in it, turn on the stove and see if it opens up when its meant to.

PS that fan clutch isnt always engaged. do a little research before you assume its faulty. does it overheat on the highway? uphill, downhill, just while sitting in traffic?

good luck! :)

Back