• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Twin Screw Supercharger!?

Time for a stupid question, brace yourselves.

that scoop's giving the added benefit of providing additional airflow, true, but if you already have a cowl induction hood, wouldn't it actually be better to make a fully enclosed cover for the part of the SC that won't fit under the hood, in order to better protect it from the elements? The cowl induction provides superior airflow under-hood, I've seen that proof with my own eyes over the last summer. But surely a scoop that ugly isn't necessary for peak performance. Right?

Yeah, but the problem with that is you'll have a cowl induction hood with a huge ugly bubble in the front. Either way, it's gonna look ugly unless you mount your supercharger like Hesco does, kinda laid on its side below the intake manifold. The reason is because the superchargers from KB and avenger run their pully directly out of the compresser, making it pretty high at the belt, which if you look at it, is pretty close to the front of the hood. Just a thought.

lost1 said:
Time for a stupid question, brace yourselves.

that scoop's giving the added benefit of providing additional airflow, true, but if you already have a cowl induction hood, wouldn't it actually be better to make a fully enclosed cover for the part of the SC that won't fit under the hood, in order to better protect it from the elements? The cowl induction provides superior airflow under-hood, I've seen that proof with my own eyes over the last summer. But surely a scoop that ugly isn't necessary for peak performance. Right?

The scoop that they used was JUST for add clearance under the hood. The blower will not fit under the stock hood. The blower is getting air from an airbox or open filter somewhere in the engine compartment. The could have used a rear facing cowl hood or just slapped a fiberglass box on the stock hood to accomplish the same thing but they are trying to be eye catching and sell a product so they went with a prostock style scoop. So yes you are right a rear facing hood will protect it better.

well I was talking airflow in terms of cooling the engine compartment, not intake, but I guess the gist of the idea got through.

I really, really want to find an old crappy cowl hood and give it a try. I want to fab up a smoked plexiglass bubble/box thing that would allow a supercharger to fit and be well-protected but visible. (what can I say, its a show-off thing.)

Back