• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turning knuckles

Audiophile

NAXJA Forum User
I have an RE 6.5 with the D-30 disconnect axle. I want to cut and turn my knuckles on a non-disco D30. I know I can cut off all the hardware (coil buckets, shock mounts, ect) then cut and turn the knuckle. I was looking at the axle and wondering if it would just be easier to drill out the welds on the pumpkin and turn the whole axle tube?

Those tubes are pressed into the housing with a lot of pressure. The welds are normally for safety measures. If you can find a way to turn them, I'm sure a lot of others would be interested.

Dan

I noted the nice mill mork on your 44. I'll start in on your axles tonight.

How many end mill bits did it take to get those plugs out? I assume a fair amount! :D

CRASH

One roughing endmill with the right coating has done 3 axles here. It's all about speed and feed baby.

Hijacked thread. Sorry.

Don't worry, I'll take care of your babies. They look like they'll fit just right under the skeletal XJ that currently occupies half of my garage. :D

Are you doing OEM style mounts or re-using the Ford mounts?

CRASH...back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I thought one would loose the straightness or alignment on the tubes is you drilled out the plug welds. Or is that only a concern when you have the wheel bearings on the tubes like on a rear end.

I have not done it before but I would think an angle grinder with cutoff wheel at the C would be easier and more fool proof.

Gary E said:
I thought one would loose the straightness or alignment on the tubes is you drilled out the plug welds. Or is that only a concern when you have the wheel bearings on the tubes like on a rear end.

I have not done it before but I would think an angle grinder with cutoff wheel at the C would be easier and more fool proof.

Turning the tubes would be much easier on the alignment problems!!!Cuttting the knuckles of creates a ton of problems,reduced tubelength and much more weld warpage/shrinking.There also would be a question of the weld strength vs. just the plug welds stopping torsional loads only.

Cutting the knuckles vs. drilling the welds is 6 of one, half dozen of another. Both are a bitch unless you are set up with a Bridgeport......

I'd cut the welds off of the knuckle and turn them that way. I've done it a few times on 44's and while it's time consuming with an angle grinder, it's doable.

You are not relying on weld strength by cutting the knuckles, they are still a press fit onto the tube, and a weld to secure.

CRASH

Umm, he kinda said this in his first post. Turning the tubes would be the easiest for this one. Moving all the bracketry to fit is a PITA also. I'd turn the tubes. If it was one of those oh so fun clean slate axles, I'd cut the knuckles with a grinder (actually I'd use plasma).

Sean

Back