• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal is worn out

egpeil

NAXJA Forum User
I just acquired a 90 Cherokee and it is really clean but the turn signal switch is (I think) just plain wore out. When I switch it left nothing happens and when I switch it right it works but doesn't cancel even when manually cancelled - it basically keeps blinking until I turn the car off and back on. I assume it is just worn out. I want to replace it but wondering if this is a big deal. I saw a post where the guy said he had to just the existing wires and then tape in the wires for a new switch.

I also want to upgrade it to add a cruise control. What are my options?

Blinker fluid man... check it....

Find a rig at the junkyard with cruise and a good switch and just swap the entire steering column if possible

I noticed "directional indicator" switches on Quadratec's site for $33 - would replacing this help my turn signal switch that just kinda flops around and doesn't really "click" any more.

What I did on my switch (because I couldn't find one for cheap), was wire into my 4 ways at the switch. So both the signals and the 4 ways work off of the same terminal on the switch. The only thing I need to watch for is to not leave the blinker on when I shut the jeep off, because that terminal is always live. Cost was a little piece of wire. Been working for over a year.

when u swap in a column with cruise is the jeep already wired for it? I have a 99 without tilt without cruise. i want both though.

Most of the wiring is already there- do some searching, someone just put cruise in their (IIRC) 98 in the last few weeks- that thread might answer your questions.

A '90 Renix doesn't get a reflash. It's basically the old style cruise, separate brain box under the dash, uses most of the Perfect Circle add-on cruise control sold since the '80s.

To replace the turn signal, you need a steering wheel puller and lock plate depressor. They can be rented from A-Zone, O'Reilly's and others for free. Once the wheel is off and the lock plate out of the way, the turn signal assy is right there. Unplugging that, make sure you attach some twine to the outgoing plug to help feed the new harness back in.

Switches are relatively inexpensive, the column work isn't hard IF you have a service manual and pay attention to the sequence. Those that dive into a project off the cuff break other little parts - like the customer I spent 90 minutes with three times Sunday - so be prepared to acknowledge you may need help - and then ask the experienced Chevy guys, it's a GM column. Don't expect GM parts to fit, Jeep numbers are required.

I have a complete service manual but the advice about the twine was a keeper - thanks. Think I will go with replacing the switch and looking for an after market cruise - replacing the steering column is more work then I want to do. I am excited about doing some stuff to my Cherokee but if I have the time I'd rather be out riding my motocross bike.

i used the audiovox aftermarket cruise in mine there were some issues when i wired into the brakelight switch (3rd brakelight glowed dimly all the time and the cruise wouldnt engauge) but audiovox tech help advised me what to do, had to add a relay that grounded the cruise control module when the brakes were applied, and all works well now. cost 100.00 off of amazon.com

replacing the steering column is more work then I want to do. I am excited about doing some stuff to my Cherokee but if I have the time I'd rather be out riding my motocross bike.

I chose to swap coulmns on my 97 to avoid messing with the airbag and to get the cruise stwiches that finished up my cruise up-grade. :) If I were in your shoes, I'd replace the stwich and go from there unless you score a cheap column with the cruise on it. Personally I think it would take about the same time(me anyways) to do either job unless you're familair with the inside of columns and don't count it as a learning experence.

Anyway neither are as fun as riding. A few bad discs in the lower back forced me to retire from MX bikes but refuse to give up my Dualsport.....Al

Back