• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube doors

Speed_racer said:
EMAIL SENT!!

Im wondering if thatd be legal for street driving?! hmmmm !!! :D:D

I really don't know about the legal side of this. I DO know that it is legal to drive around with the doors completely removed off a CJ, YJ or TJ - so why not XJs as well? I know in CO, no-one that I know that has an XJ with the doors off has complained about being pulled over and ticketed for it. In other states you'd have to check on the legality.

NOTE: These tube doors are NOT a DOT approved safety item. Nor do I claim them to be a safety application for off road use. They will keep you inside better than having no doors at all, but they will not keep stuff in or out as a full door would - thus I have to put the disclaimer here, up front (and will also include it in doors people might have me make for them) that you use these at your own risk.

FYI, on the legal side, I got really really bored one day and went across the street to the local PD and asked them about going doorless. All they had to say was that I needed a driver's side mirror mounted to the body (and the rearview on the windsheild). But that's out in CA.

That's what I believe as well. Most states require two rear view mirrors. So one can get away with a window mounted mirror, and a driver's side mirror. I have yet to hear of laws pertaining to running without stock doors (especially since CJs, TJs and YJs and some older Ford Broncos have removable ones). I've heard/seen laws about limiting how far tires stick out from the fender (flares). Colorado has such a law, but it is nearly never enforced. Other places, like Utah, love to pull you over for 'over exposed' tires. Well - they'll pull you over for something else, then cite you additionally for not having flares/fender.

Anyhow - I wouldn't be worried about the legality of running your XJ with these tube doors. Just make sure you have two mirors at least.

I've had two pretty definite queries from guys on this board to have some doors built. Thanks guys! They are for 2 door XJs, so I hope to have dimensions and a jig set up for that this weekend.

Oh - this winter I will be building some undercarriage protection using tube. A series of skid platesmounted to the tubes protecting the trannie, xfer case, providing a replacement for the wimpy stock cross member, giving slots for the drive shafts to poke through, etc. I'll be posting info on that as the project progresses - stay tuned!

This is what it says in the PA State Inspection Manual.

175.77. Body (F) Doors - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Guess no doorless street driving:rolleyes: but wheeling is a go! Just gotta fig out what to do with your doors once you get there.:confused:

cherokeekid95 said:
This is what it says in the PA State Inspection Manual.

175.77. Body (F) Doors - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Bummer. That's a wierd statement though

"The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side"

So..... could we just chop the roof off and then go doorless? ;)

Or.... you could say you bought it with the tube doors. Then you could say it was 'original equipment' :D

Yea - finding a place for those HEAVY stock doors once you get to the trail is a bummer.

don't count me out cuz some of the guys i wheel with trailer. So i could just stash them on or under the trailer. Just need to make sure they are goin before i take my mini doors.:cool:

did a little more diggin. Just cuz curious. I called up the States Best. (troopers) asked them at first in general about the subject. he said basically what it comes down to is if it came from the Factory with doors on it they need to be there. So persued this some. Stating jeeps are built to take them off. etc... he said it comes to the officers disgression whether he feels its safe in HIS opinion. I asked what the fine is he said its a $27 dollar fine but with fees and what not its $104 all said and done with. So then i asked what about half doors or tube doors. He then asked what vehicle i am refering to. So spilled the beans on the xj. he said no. It has to be the full door for any street driving. Any off-road driving would be legal. But soon as you hit pavement its a no no. so thats the words from the big wigs

Thanks for latch idea! It didn't even cross my mind to weld old door latches on. I was strugling for ideas...what an idiot :banghead:... Hopefully I can get all four doors done by the end of the month.

Back