• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Thanksgiving Questions

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
Since I joined the group I've been hearing about this trip. Turns out my wife works that day and I've gotten the thumbs up to skip any of her family turkey day stuff so I'm planning to meet up.
But, I'm curious ...how you guys do the run.
Do you camp?
Do you show up on Wednesday or Thursday and how many days do you stay?
Is there snow? I was thinking of bringing the camper ... but if it's a rough drive in I wouldnt.
And, what trails did you run last year? Airplane hill and crushers would seem to be a nightmare with snow ...

Thanks =)

I don't really know what the 'norm' is, if there is a 'norm' as I've only been to one.
It all depends on the weather. Last year it was cold, real cold, and we woke up to snow one morning. I think I was only there one night iirc

Gotcha. Since I'll have my boys, I'm leaning towards bringing the camper because I want to keep them warm. Maybe I'll have to play it by ear to see if I can get it in the main road or not.

The roads were fine really. The snow was only in the tops of the hills

I think Dave had his monster motor home up there

Sweet. Gotta do some frame reinforcement on the RV before I want to tow again. I'll either do some shitty welding myself w/ my flex core or lug my ass up to Adam's to use his 220. I may just rent a tow dolly in case Nick motivates me to break another axle.

Problem is we have Civil War tickets so I have to be out of there Friday morning pretty early. My guess is I'll just be there Thursday/Thanksgiving to wheel unless people head out on Wednesday day.

Forget the civil war...... TiVo that shit

BAHHHH, We have tickets! Have never been, really want to do it in person one year. After that we'll do weekends with you guys =)

I didn't even notice you said you have tickets! I just saw civil war....
Can't blame ya there I guess

Typically the idea is to eat turkey dinner at home and head up afterwords for the whole weekend

Or come up Saturday for a day run

I've never seen anybody wheel after thanksgiving dinner Thursday night haha

After that we'll do weekends with you guys =)
NWF will likely be the NWC's next run after Thanksgiving. :D

It's hard to say what everyone's plans will be this year, but I always head out after Thanksgiving dinner Thursday evening. Wheel Friday and Saturday, on whatever trails the group is up for. Fingers crossed for snow, but it's anyone's guess how this year's winter will go.

Well, the Civil War game is Friday @ 12:30pm. Maybe we'll think about coming back and meeting you guys Friday evening and doing night-runs/wheel Saturday. Hate to miss it.

NWF will likely be the NWC's next run after Thanksgiving. :D

It's hard to say what everyone's plans will be this year, but I always head out after Thanksgiving dinner Thursday evening. Wheel Friday and Saturday, on whatever trails the group is up for. Fingers crossed for snow, but it's anyone's guess how this year's winter will go.

I plan to do lots of wheeling this year, I'm not doing all this crap to my rig for it to sit! :gee:

Yea, if anything .. that's an improvement we should look to as a group. 2 formal runs a year for our group is not enough!!! I bet most of you wheel at least once a month, no reason we can't do that as a group.

Scott's right actually! I'm doing like 60-70 hours a week till December, and I've got 2 rigs to build, and another to swap parts on.... And then there's life in general

About January things will be slowing down for me though and I plan to do lots of wheeling

Been working a steady 50 all summer to prepare for harvest. October 1st we fire up the first of 4 machines that I have to keep running untill January 15th.

Also just drug the Black Sheep out of the corner of the shop. Aired up the Kevlars,checked the fluids and threw some Insurance at it.

It was kinda nice to drive the black death trap again.

I think it's been parked since last turkey day run? Not really sure anymore. Time seams to pass so quickly now.

You came out to our (failed, due to lack of snow) snow run didn't you Dave? I think it was right around New Years?

I'd like to propose the idea of having a "Official Monthly NWC Run."

For some, wheeling every other weekend just isn't feasible, myself included. I think it might be beneficial to the chapter to start delegating certain months to NWC members to plan for an official chapter run of the month. For example, I'd be willing to take on February with TORXfest, Ruger81 could take March for a Hypothermia run, etc. We could have a thread discussing upcoming months and possible runs to gauge interest. The member who is selected for their run would then be responsible for posting details and leading the run or event.

This would allow people to plan ahead and actually commit to making it. However, these official runs shouldn't deter folks from posting up a spur of the moment LaDee Flats or Elbe Hills run either.

This has been an odd year for wheeling. We had a hot as hell summer that zapped a lot of motivation and wheeling opportunities, and a good majority of our active members decided to either part out or overhaul their junk after NWF. Lets get our rigs back up and running, and start getting out as a group again.

Back