• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trxus MT vs. Baja Claw radial

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys which tire should i pick? I dont really want anything more aggressive then that due to wear. I do mostly snow, mud, water etc. I do the rocks occasionally and rarely sand. What about weight? The trxus are really heavy and are hard to balance. How are the claw's weight and balancing? thanks

Trxus are by far my favorite. The aggressive tread is great for mud and rocks, but the biggest seller for me is the wet road handling. All the siping per lug is a big plus when compared to other MT's that may have one sipe per lug, but usually not any at all. The Trxus are heavy, and a little more difficult to balance, but they balance better on an aluminum rim in most cases. I've never cared much for directional tires. They seemed to want to wander more IMHO, and if you need a spare, it will only face the same direction on one side of the vehicle, so hope you get a flat on that side.:D

I have 31" Trxus MT's on the wife's ZJ right now. I had 34's on my XJ, but going up to 35's real soon, then 37's next summer when I finish my full widths. My first set of 34's I got almost 50,000 miles out of them and kept two for spares since they weren't to the wear bars yet.

GottaBeJeep said:
Trxus are by far my favorite. The aggressive tread is great for mud and rocks, but the biggest seller for me is the wet road handling. All the siping per lug is a big plus when compared to other MT's that may have one sipe per lug, but usually not any at all. The Trxus are heavy, and a little more difficult to balance, but they balance better on an aluminum rim in most cases. I've never cared much for directional tires. They seemed to want to wander more IMHO, and if you need a spare, it will only face the same direction on one side of the vehicle, so hope you get a flat on that side.:D

I have 31" Trxus MT's on the wife's ZJ right now. I had 34's on my XJ, but going up to 35's real soon, then 37's next summer when I finish my full widths. My first set of 34's I got almost 50,000 miles out of them and kept two for spares since they weren't to the wear bars yet.

Yeah, what he said. Another choice you might want to look at are the new Maxxis BigHorns.......very similar and slightly cheaper than the Trxus MT, but just as good. If you go with the trxus MT, save you and your tire guy the headache and get some balance beads(i.e. Innovative Balance or airsoft pellets) to balance the tires. I have found that as trxus wear, their balancing characteristics change, and some sort of changing balancer is the only way to get them to ride smooth over the life of the tire. Though you could just get them balanced everytime you rotate them.

TrXus MTs.One of the best tires I've ever used in the snow-Works great on rocks also.Went through 3 sets over the years before switching to MT/Rs (got a deal I couldn't pass up).

planefixer said:
TrXus MTs.One of the best tires I've ever used in the snow-Works great on rocks also.Went through 3 sets over the years before switching to MT/Rs (got a deal I couldn't pass up).

I have a feeling that those are going to let you down in the snow/ice kina stuff. When it comes to dry/western style wheelin, probably a toss-up if not MTR are a little better. But for winter wheelin'..........Trxus MT's hands down.

Another vote for Trxus MT's here. I had the 33x12.5R15's and they were by far the best radial tire I've ever seen/used, in all conditions.

Are these inner wheel balances bad for the rim? So if they are bouncing around in the trim will they start to pit it out? Are they loud? Can someone hear them in a parking lot etc when i am driving slow?

Are these inner wheel balances bad for the rim? So if they are bouncing around in the trim will they start to pit it out? Are they loud? Can someone hear them in a parking lot etc when i am driving slow?
You shouldn't worry at all about a plastic BB pitting a steel rim. I've had my BFG MTs airsoft balanced for about 3 or 4 months now with no problems (other than I didn't put enough in, so they are slightly unbalanced). Yes, you can hear the BBs, but it's no big deal. It just sounds like... BBs bouncing off of metal. You can only hear them at speeds below 20 or so, and even then it's not too audible.

My problem with the Trxus is they are horrible on road. They won't balance, and i dont want to put bb in the wheels. At 50mph the entire car just shakes. How are the Claw bias on road? I know they are loud but how is the balance of the tire? Does the tire cause the vehicle to shake a lot?

I don't think the TrXuS MT's are too terrible on the road. While I haven't owned a set I did drive Ron's Jeep about 1500 miles with the TrXuS MT's (all between 55 - 80 mph), they were 33 x 12.50 x 15 on steel rims. While I knew I was driving a vehicle with MT's I wasn't all over the road, nor was I being shaken out of the seat.

I have no experiance with Baja Claws.

My problem with the Trxus is they are horrible on road. They won't balance, and i dont want to put bb in the wheels. At 50mph the entire car just shakes. How are the Claw bias on road? I know they are loud but how is the balance of the tire? Does the tire cause the vehicle to shake a lot?
It's not BB's you want, it's the plastic airsoft pellets.

I've never owned either, but I've wheeled with guys that have both. I noticed on the roads getting to trails driving near them that the guys with Trxus MT's I couldn't hear over my rig, but the guys on Claws I could easily hear over my rig. If I could hear them that well inside mine I wouldn't want to know how bad it was for them. On the trails I did notice that the guys on Claws had a tendency to go sideways instead of straight...

FWIW, I've been planning my next set of tires for a while, and the next WILL be the TRXUS MT

John

Im getting a set of claws..

They get good wear on the road, from what I have heard. They are quite, and they are sick on the rocks. Which is what we do around here...

I've only used airsoft pellets to balance both of my vehicles for the last year or more with great luck. Some people claim they can hear the pellets when they come to a full stop, i never have. I can hear them when a take a tire off and roll it down the driveway, but that's the only time..

Re: Trxus MT vs. Mickey Thopmson MTZ

Ok it looks like the claws get horrible wear. Like i stated before i want something with equivilent wear of the trxus but without all the balancing issues. (airsoft pellets just dont seem good enough for me. I also dont want to hear the beads at slow speeds) Anyone use the Mickey Thompson MTZ? It seems like a comparable tire to the Trxus, as far as off road performance and overal longevity. Let me know, thanks.

Re: Trxus MT vs. Mickey Thopmson MTZ

Ok it looks like the claws get horrible wear.

Maybe on a truck that's hurt for an alignment or used for burnouts. I've got 37k+ hard city miles on my 31's. They have about 6/32" left and they came with 21/32". When I say hard city miles I'm talking stop sign or red light on just about every block, taking fast turns (thanks 28mm sway bar!) and just general bad roads. They really shine in mud even in 2wd. I would buy another set without hesitation.

Back