• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

truck topper up top

camin0127

NAXJA Forum User
i have this idea of roof storage that involves mounting a truck topper on top of a cherokee...or possibly making a sleep space (possibley a rising system like slide in camper pop up's) and use the truck for cargo...i havent seen anyone do this and would greatly appreciate any thoughts ideas or preminitions...thanks

i have this idea of roof storage that involves mounting a truck topper on top of a cherokee...or possibly making a sleep space (possibley a rising system like slide in camper pop up's) and use the truck for cargo...i havent seen anyone do this and would greatly appreciate any thoughts ideas or preminitions...thanks

A tonneau cover or a camper shell?

There's a pic of one (poster's vehicle, I think), on jeepsunlimited, and it has a raised fiberglass top like a conversion van.

It's hideous. VERY hideous.

ya.....ive seen those roof top tents before.....what i am trying to create is with the use of a Truck cap...like those fiberglass caps that people have over the beds of their trucks.....either just mounting a cap----some how make it wind friendly so theres little drag.....the point of the design is to have a massive amount of roof storage...forget the sleeping on the roof

Something essentially similar to this but covering the entire roof?

rDmzJ.jpg

what i am trying to create is with the use of a Truck cap...like those fiberglass caps that people have over the beds of their trucks.....either just mounting a cap----some how make it wind friendly so theres little drag.....

The first Subaru Brat that I owned had a shell on it that extended over the roof to the edge of the windscreen. It was angled to match the windscreen, and came up about a foot higher than the roof. For the small amount of extra cargo space that you'd gain by having it on there, it was the worst thing to drive around with because of the extra frontal area that it added - not to mention how it affected handling in sidewinds.

The point I'm making is that there's not a lot you can do to cheat aerodynamics and still have it give a useful amount of extra space while being something that's worth living with. Consider also the effects on the centre of gravity when loaded.

the point of the design is to have a massive amount of roof storage...forget the sleeping on the roof

Would a utility trailer perform basically the same function?

Back