• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck Talk

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
Hey Ya'All......

So, i'm in the market for a Full Size truck. I have been looking around and I can't decide on what to get. I am looking to my Sierra Chapter Brotherin (HA) to give me some direction.

Here's what I'm looking for:
5.2L or larger (for towing)
Quad Cab
Short Bed
4x4 preferable but not neccessary
2006 and newer
Want to keep it under $25,000
I AM going to use it to TOW my Jeep maybe 3 to 4 times a year.
I think I prefer Gas only because from what I have read, Diesel isnt great for short daily trips due to it not getting hot enough to burn off. I could be and are probably wrong :)

I know everyone has their preference due to loyalty and I know every truck has its pro and cons, gas vs. diesal and so on.

This will be my DAILY DRIVER of a cummute that is 14 miles round trip. Not too worried about MPG at this point.

Honestly, if I could afford it my truck of choise would be a Raptor :) But with a $40k+ price tag, it's a little out of my reach.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any and all input :)

~Mark

I love my 06 crew cab f250 powerstroke, plenty of power(even when towing), plenty of space for people and stuff, but I'm not so sure about the super short commute. I'd say go diesel and just take it out once every week or two and stretch its legs a bit.

Cummins! FTW!
http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3856856532.html

Is there are particular reason for 2006/newer? For the most part Diesel will net you better MPG loaded/unloaded. Simple solution, drive it like you stole it.
Really, for a gasser GM 6.0/6.2 is your best bet.

Really happy with my '06 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel. My work is about 15 miles away but its mostly freeway. 20 miles to town. I don't drive it every day as I switch off with our commuter car when I can to save gas. Truck averages 20 mpg / 15 mpg towing.

4843.jpg

I've got a 2006 Suburban with the 5.3L. It does fine with a flat tow but I don't know that it would do a trailer well. For a trailer either get a 6.0L gas or bigger, or run diesel. Older 7.3L Fords work fine and are relatively cheap. Also can't go wrong with the Cummins but will cost you more.

I have a 2007 gmc 2500 6.0 gas. I tow tractors with it every day. It does fine. Tows the xj like there's nothing there. But, I get 11 mpgs unloaded.

You always seem to end up with the bunk left overs..

and in case you didn't know, once you go black..

2002 2500hd c.c. 2wd silverado 6.0 a/t. Tuned with efi live, shift kit and exhaust it gets with mixed driving around 410-430 a tank. Towing it will get around 300 to a tank. Tank is 26 gallons...

If you can swing one, I'd recommend the Ford F150 with the Ecoboost. Good gas mileage around town (18mpg) and great on the Hwy if you keep your foot out of it (23mpg). Plenty of HP and 420 ft. lbs out of a gas V6. It tows like a diesel and the computer controlled tranny keeps the load under control on the steep downhills. Love mine and is the best car I've owned to date.

Edit: the features on these new trucks is killer. If the trailer starts to sway, the rear axle sends power to opposite rear wheels to correct the sway. If you ever bust a coolant line, the engine shuts down to 3 cylinders to let you travel an extra 50 miles without damage to the engine. When towing a 4,600 lb jeep, I average 13 mpg.

I was looking for a truck just like Erics...but didn't want to spend ~$20k or more for a truck with 150k miles on it. So, I ended up with a 2004.5 Chevy CrewCab Shortbed Duramax with 185k, but got a good deal and its in pretty good shape. So far I love it...wanted something mainly to tow our ski boat with no issues and the jeep eventually.

X2 on the f150 eco boost. Very nice all around truck.

I picked up an 05 f150 last June. It is fully load and very nice but wish I had the gas mileage of the eco boost.

I guess I can buy a lot of gas with all the money I saved. Got mine for 1/4 the cost with 50k on the clock. Be patient, lots of "must sell now" situations out there these days.

Don't discount the Toyota Tundra. I found an '08 Tundra Ltd in perfect condition with the 5.7L and 11k towing capacity. I've flat towed my XJ over 600 miles on it's maiden voyage and never knew it was behind me. I bought this for the October Moab trip and know it will be perfect.

I wanted the F150 with Ecoboost but did not want the payments. I got my Tundra out the door for under 24k. Beautiful truck and loaded with every option imaginable. Other than being 2WD, I think it fits your criteria nicely. 2008-2012 are pretty much the same truck, by the way, so focus on mileage, condition, and options if you go that route.

IMG_4345_zpse4f2d4bc.jpg

Oh, I averaged 15 mpg while towing to Arizona and back while holding at a steady 70 mph. It's not diesel, but it does very well.

Last edited:
Love my Dodge.

2009 1500, crew cab, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92s in the axles, 4x4.

I got around 20 MPG going 75-80 to Kansas and back in 2011. Liz gets 14ish around town. I get better.

With the crew cab, we have had six adults in the cab comfortably.

I have towed to Rubicon three times, Reno and Fordyce once, Niagara Rim, Slickrock and camped at Deer Valley trailhead, damn is that all? 10-12 MPG towing. Plenty of power, let her eat.

Really, any 2006+ half ton with a V-8 is going to do just fine with a single Jeep on a reasonable trailer. Get the one where you like the look and interior comfort.

I am with VetsXj. I have a 05 Duramax. I love it, its super comfortable for long road trips I get about 18mpg in town and 15 to 16.5 towing. Thats at 70mph with lots more to go if needed.

my tow rigs going to be my 75 van with a 383 in it tows wat ever you wanna throw behind it getting 11 mpg empty or loaded but the plans are 4x4 conver and either a 4bt or 6bt cummins

Well, since you asked...I think they are uglier than ass. Would tow fine though.

I like Phil's truck for what you're describing your needs are.

It pulled just as hard (if not harder) than my 2000 white Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 with 320,000 miles, and he was much more comfortable, when we were headed to the Rubicon summer 2011, with similar jeeps on similar trailers.

I probably got better mileage during that towing, but all of jeeping is a money sink, so a 10k more expensive truck takes a lot of wheeling trips to justify...

Back