• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck driving companies

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I know we have a few truckers here...who do y'all work for? Any recommendations on who to avoid or who to work for? Just got my Class A, now to find a company.

I don't drive but I often deal with truck companies as the Foreman of a Peterbilt dealership. Off the top of my head I'd stay away from SWIFT and Covenant Transport. Awhile back when I turned a wrench at a truck stop I often noticed the driver's of those two companies complaining more more than others.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions

I don't drive but I often deal with truck companies as the Foreman of a Peterbilt dealership. Off the top of my head I'd stay away from SWIFT and Covenant Transport. Awhile back when I turned a wrench at a truck stop I often noticed the driver's of those two companies complaining more more than others.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions
you have the gayest Arai helmet ever made.

I know we have a few truckers here...who do y'all work for? Any recommendations on who to avoid or who to work for? Just got my Class A, now to find a company.
If ya like to have a paid vacation....... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya like to be home when ya put in for it........ STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya want consistent miles........ STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya dont want forced dispatch...... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya like to pick up loads on time.... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
(will dispatch ya days late from when it is scheduled to pick up)
If you want RESPECT as a driver..... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
Been yelled at on the phone that I PAY FOR by dispatch.
Forced to stay on the road even when they KNEW I would be out of blood pressure meds.
Equipment, the tractors anyway, are pretty good. With the exception of lots of the new Pro Stars.
They bought up a bunch of 'em that are just glorified day cabs. NO room in the sleeper. You can touch the bunk from the drivers seat and they dont even have any where to store your junk except under the bunk.
Should I keep going??

Always heard it was a good company to work for, came here from CRST, and then found out from drivers that have worked here for 10-15 years it was a good company at one time.
LOTS of these 10 to 15 year vets are ready to walk away.

Ever since Max Fuller handed it over to his Sons (?)... its gone down hill.

Hell, they see this post and I prob wont have to worry about quitting.

Heard good things about FedEX,UPS,Heartland,John Christner <--sp?,CRST wasnt too bad-was better than USX anyway.

You can do a little research here.....
http://www.thetruckersreport.com
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/

Whoever ya chose.. TRY to stay with a smaller company.
They will know ya by your name, not your truck number.
Hope this helps ya out a little and GOOD LUCK. ;)

Last edited:
I would stay away with any company that had more than 400 trucks in their fleet and also stay away from any that have less than 20.

This pretty much cuts out all the ones you see all the time. Mainly...

CR England
Swift
Schnider
CRST
Fed Ex
Werner
Covenent
Centeral Refrigerated
CFI
Gordon

Yeah, pretty much all the big ones. Find yourself a company where you will be a name, where the boss will know who you are on a personal basis and where you will not just be a number.

Oh and call me.

If ya like to have a paid vacation....... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya like to be home when ya put in for it........ STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya want consistent miles........ STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya dont want forced dispatch...... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
If ya like to pick up loads on time.... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
(will dispatch ya days late from when it is scheduled to pick up)
If you want RESPECT as a driver..... STAY AWAY FROM USXPRESS.
Been yelled at on the phone that I PAY FOR by dispatch.
Forced to stay on the road even when they KNEW I would be out of blood pressure meds.
Equipment, the tractors anyway, are pretty good. With the exception of lots of the new Pro Stars.
They bought up a bunch of 'em that are just glorified day cabs. NO room in the sleeper. You can touch the bunk from the drivers seat and they dont even have any where to store your junk except under the bunk.
Should I keep going??

Always heard it was a good company to work for, came here from CRST, and then found out from drivers that have worked here for 10-15 years it was a good company at one time.
LOTS of these 10 to 15 year vets are ready to walk away.

Ever since Max Fuller handed it over to his Sons (?)... its gone down hill.

Hell, they see this post and I prob wont have to worry about quitting.

Heard good things about FedEX,UPS,Heartland,John Christner <--sp?,CRST wasnt too bad-was better than USX anyway.

You can do a little research here.....
http://www.thetruckersreport.com
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/

Whoever ya chose.. TRY to stay with a smaller company.
They will know ya by your name, not your truck number.
Hope this helps ya out a little and GOOD LUCK. ;)
My wife's dad drives for Heartland and seems happy there. I was looking seriously at USX, but not so sure anymore.
I would stay away with any company that had more than 400 trucks in their fleet and also stay away from any that have less than 20.

This pretty much cuts out all the ones you see all the time. Mainly...

CR England
Swift
Schnider
CRST
Fed Ex
Werner
Covenent
Centeral Refrigerated
CFI
Gordon

Yeah, pretty much all the big ones. Find yourself a company where you will be a name, where the boss will know who you are on a personal basis and where you will not just be a number.

Oh and call me.
I liked the sound of Central Refrig since food always needs to move and they pay during their initial training/orientation, but then my wife told me Central is the company her dad earned a negative paycheck from because they screwed up his shipping papers and he had to sit for a week. CR England called me almost immediately after I applied, but they don't pay during the mandatory 10 day orientation, and I need money sooner than later. Plus, while my instructor drove for them a while back and liked them, most of the modern guys I've heard aren't too thrilled.

Part of me really wants to go OTR for a little while, but I think I'm gonna try and stay local for right now. Apparently a local cement plant is hurting for drivers right now. Not sure how stable they are long term, but there's lots of construction right now out here.

Apparently a local cement plant is hurting for drivers right now. Not sure how stable they are long term, but there's lots of construction right now out here.

Now this I can comment on. I hauled concrete for 4 years while I went to school at night. Awesome job. Interesting as hell, but not a long term career due to pay. Always something new each day and it is a perishable load so usually the longest you will be from the plant is 3 hours total. Find out why the company needs drivers. The company in FL I worked for never had a problem keeping drivers, but in WV between the three dollar an hour pay cut, loss of benefits and lack of maintenance on their old trucks I could only stand it for a year.

I'm surprised LYKOS has not chimed in. He drives for FedEx. I pass him going to work every am, he is coming in from his run. I know he drags tandoms and here in the mountains that can't be a lot of fun.

PM him and see how he likes FedEx.

The guy across the street from me drove for Atlas Van Lines. He was an owner operator on the road for 6-8 weeks and home for 2-3 weeks. After five years he gave it up, sold his rig and it took awhile but he now drives cement truck. He's home everynight and most weekends.

Get a P endorsement. You can then look at charter bus companies making the weekend Vegas runs.

Yeah, I go back to get my bus training soon and will be getting Hazmat, doubles/triples, tankers, and passengers.

Back