• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming for 32's...

SGT

NAXJA Forum User
It has come time for some new tires, I really don't want to go with another set of 31's. So I am wondering about how much I have to trim to fit 32x11.5's on say a 15x7 or 8 rim. Just out of curiosity how about 33x10.5 on 15x7 or 8" rims? I have 3" of lift and will soon have an ARB bumper weighing down the front. All advice appreciated, just thinking out loud.
Matt

Lots of trimming for 33's,read my insert!

33's were kind of a dream, I am serious about the 32's though.

I was running 32x10.5's on stock rims and 4.5-5" of lift.It will hit the front bumper returns first!

I am running 32" TSL radials on AR rims with 4" BS and they tuck up in the fenders great. I trimmed the flare some in the corners, already had cut off the lower part of the front fenders like a newer xj, bout it.
I need to get some pucks in the front springs to keep them from bottoming out in the top of the fenderwell now.

Andy did you try the 32's with 3.5" before you went up to 5" of lift?

SGT said:
Andy did you try the 32's with 3.5" before you went up to 5" of lift?

Nope, sorry bout that. Pieced it together and that is where I ended up. I see you have a 97+ xj as well, heard that they are not near as tire friendly as the older ones. Keep your BS in close and run skinnier tires.

I would think though, reading a thread just like this earlier, naxja??) that they should stuff the same, you just would need to tune your front suspension for more down travel than upward travel.
That is what I will be doing shortly. I need to put in 3" of pucks then I will extend my BPE's out 1-1.5" So I am not giving up much for travel.

Im on my 5th lift kit,"been there,done that"on a 2000.With the 32's they touched the top of the wheel wells with +2" bumpstops.It was the best flexing set-up I've run(front to rear).

While we're on the subject, how about trimming for 285/75R16's (33x11.5) with 4" of lift? I've already trimmed 2" all the way around in the front. I know Ron (RCP) has had all kinds of problems with his 33's, but he hasn't trimmed at all. Anybody run these tires with trimming? Ary? How much trimming? The wheels will have 4.25" BS (16x8) most likely since I haven't found any black rockcrawlers with 4.5".

I am running 32x11.5R15 Mud Terrains on mine at 5-5.5" of lift. I trimmed the front fenders level with the side markers and had to trim the flares too at the front. Have a look the picture below:

newflarecuts.jpg

After this picture was taken, I did some more trimming at the front, but I do not have a newer picture. Please keep in mind, that at this moment, the front wheels are a bit more forward than what appears at this pictures, due to the installation of the RE drop brackets, so no need to trim the rear of the flares.

At the rear, I just folded the lip of the fender flat. No need to trim the flare, at least for now.

If you need more details, contact me off the forum.

Rgds

According to RE their 4.5 lift will handle 32's with no trimming. You are only 1.5" short of that lift. I wouldn't think you would have to do much. Maybe you could add a little to your lift. I have a 4" on mine now and have enough room for 32's I think. Not 100% sure, but it looks that way. I dropped my tranny to go 4". There are some people that didn't have to drop their tranny with the 4", but I wasn't so lucky.

I am waiting on a 5.5 lift from RE. More work, but gotta go for it.

Curt

Ok, here we go, I'm running 285/75 16s(33x11.5) on 4-5" of lift(not really sure, don't know how to measure) with only very MINOR rubbing. Here's how I trimmed:

In the front I removed the stock flares and cut so that there was still a lip, but that's it. You can kind of see what I'm talking about in this pic. Basically, I cut the part that has all the holes for the flare clips off.

street%20with%2033s.jpg

Now in the rear I did the slit and fold method. Basically just cut in perpendicular to the edge of the sheetmetal every 1-2 inches and folded the metal back around and under. I was careful not to cut through any of the pinch welds. I gained about 1-1.5" all the way around the wheel well doing this and the only place I rub is on my bumper which I made too long by accident.
Here's a shot of my rear trimming:

rear%20flex.jpg

I did all this trimming to run bushwackers, and then decided I hate the way they look. Of course I decided that after I drilled all the holes in the body :( I'm in the process of doing rear TJ flares all around and should have pics of the first side completed by this weekend. I DO rub the coil tower a little bit, and at full steering under full compression lock I do rub my discos and swaybar. Aside from that I don't rub anywhere. My wheels have 4.5" of BS. If anyone has any more questions feel free. BTW, the wheels in the picture are old, and had 5" of BS, the rubbed a good bit more, especially on the coil tower and the control arms.

Ary

Oh yeah, about the ARB, I trimmed it massively......I wouldn't get another ARB again, but if I had to I would get the pre-97 bar, even though it hangs a little lower in the front fascia, it's just cleaner and nicer than cutting up something I just paid 600$ for.

Last edited:
I've got a 91 w/4" lift and I've been running 32x11.50 BFG MT's for quite awhile (half way thru my second set and got over 40k out of the first set). With my stock 15x7 wheels my fenders where fine. But I did hit a thin metal support for my lower valance while turning and stuffing, not enough to damage anything tho. It also hit the control arms on tight turns.
Now with 3.75" bs on my new wheels the control arm issue is gone but I've had to trim a littleof the fender to give the tire room to turn, but still drives good every day. Anyway, good luck
Rob D

xj92 said:
I know Ron (RCP) has had all kinds of problems with his 33's, but he hasn't trimmed at all.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW,Ary put some focus on those pics!

Anyway,I have had my flares off for over 2 months.I started trimming along time ago along with adjusting the wheelbase and adding 2" RE bump stops for a total of 4 1/2"(i think my daystar uppers are 2 1/2").During this time I have ruined the liner and the fender is kinked and cracking cause its been bent/straightened over and over!The front clears now but I still want to modify some flares.Last time out the addtional front stops caused more weight tranfer to the rear and started eating things back there!
right1.jpg

That is the downside of buying a digital video camera to do dual duties as video and snapshots. The quality of the snapshots suck. I will try and take better pics this weekend for ya.

Ary

My bad Ron, I thought you hadn't trimmed at all. Do you keep hitting in the inner fender then? I've trimmed off the entire lip where the holes are and all the way to the next bend too, just trying to make sure they fit when I get them.

I'm runnin a hair under 4" lift with 33X12.50s...

I cut the livin sh1t outta everything.

it only rubs a little bit in the rear because my axle isn't qute centered.

flexin11.jpg

nyw06.jpg

the dunlops measure 32 3/8" tall

the sawzall is your friend. the sawzall is your friend. the sawzall is your friend. the mig is your friend when the sawzall gets too friendly :D

How about 16 inchers...

Since I still have the 16X7 inch wheels that came on my XJ, what are my tire size options there, if I am not mistaking a 265/75R16 is about a 32-10.5, that may work with 3", any thoughts on that route?
Thanks as always,
Matt

Back