• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission problems

greengoblin97

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a 97 xj 4.0 aw-4 transmission and 231 transfer case with 234000 miles on it . it will shift fine and then when i come up to a light and go to take off again its just has a hard time going got two codes one was transmission control module malfunction and the other is shift solenoid b cirucit electrical itll be fine for a few days and then it happens again same codes everytime i have tlaked to a few people that have had the same problem and they said to change the tranny mod out could this be my problem and to add after the first time this happened i changed the filter and fluid but it still does it im at my wits end

Speaking of wits end, that was really hard to read! Try some punctuation for crying out loud.

You should find a service manual and follow the appropriate test for the codes that you have.

1. Post the exact code numbers. Google those codes + Jeep and see what you get; usually there are others that have had your problem.

2. Troubleshooting manuals usually recommend disconnecting the TCU (pull fuse) and see how it shifts without this in play. If it shifts okay (you will only get certain shifts in certain shift lever positions), then the problem is most likely electrical, rather than mechanical.

birchlakeXJ offers some good advice here. Without the fuse, your trans will shift 1st to 3rd to 4th, skipping 2nd. Exact code numbers are essential to receiving help from those in the know.

Try what I recommended earlier in pulling the fuse for the TCU. Knowing whether this is an electrical or a mechanical one narrows down suspects considerably.

For codes, always GOOGLE them. For your situation, GOOGLE "P0700 P0758 + Jeep" and you'll get multiple hits. I tried it.

This could be a shift solenoid problem.

i talked to sone one on cherokeeforum and they said to change the throttle body positioner switch cause that as well can cause this to happen do you think this is true

Try what I recommended earlier in pulling the fuse for the TCU. Knowing whether this is an electrical or a mechanical one narrows down suspects considerably.

For codes, always GOOGLE them. For your situation, GOOGLE "P0700 P0758 + Jeep" and you'll get multiple hits. I tried it.

This could be a shift solenoid problem.
I don't think 97's have TCU'S, i think its all computer.

The transmission solenoid is only in your transmission, its actually visible once you remove the pan.
I would start there, as thats where the code is leading you, i've actually read thats it fairly common on the 97+

I don't think 97's have TCU'S, i think its all computer.

The transmission solenoid is only in your transmission, its actually visible once you remove the pan.
I would start there, as thats where the code is leading you, i've actually read thats it fairly common on the 97+

ALL XJs equipped with an AW4 transmission have a separate TCU from the PCM/ECU.

Confusion reigns because the early TCUs were located under the passenger's side of the dash, the later (97+?) the TCUs were relocated to under the driver's side of the dash between the steering column and the heater air box.

ok well heres an update got a tcm and that didnt work. got a tps and that didnt work but gave me better trottle responce. flushed the tranny yesterday so now all fluid is new. that seemed to fix the problem so far but did get 3 shift solenoids. so if it does mess up again then i can fix it right away thanks for everyones input

Glad its working better for you, but you really should test/adjust first.

For the future:

1. Check fluid level and quality.

2. Test/adjust the TPS (91+ is test/replace, no adjustment).

3. Adjust the throttle pressure cable.

4. Remove the 10 amp TCU fuse (or unplug the TCU) and shift the transmission manually, you should have 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, neutral, and park. IF YOU DON'T, your problem is hydraulic/mechanical; IF YOU DO then the problem is electrical.

Back