• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission problems after engine rebuild.

Good to know.

Went and adjusted the tv cable some more. It made a difference this time.
Now she will shift normally unless I put my foot down.

Then this happens
In the video. I drive off the line. She shifts from first to 2nd. then i put my foot down.
And watch the needle try to upshift over and over. and re-decide it needs to still be in 2nd.
Car rev's fine at idle.
Sorry video quality is crap. phone kept readjusting focus as it moved
http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums...B-E2B3-45F7-BC71-71EAB39A1FE2_zpsalmx8nkd.mp4

this is what she does at idle.

http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums...A-C0FE-49D1-BE37-6DFE62EC1581_zpsjhz6brnx.mp4

Still no go.
I kinda lost as to where to start on this issue

the tps and kickdown cable were good ideas. but convinced not the problem.

she revs fine in neutral.
sometimes will go fine when I hit the gas. in gear. sometimes fights to shift up.

replacing the fuel filter as soon as it arrives.

what else should I be looking at.
Theres no problems at all on shifting down from rolling to a stop. its only upwards it struggles.

ideas ?

Huh, I'm really not sure what it is going. Basically it's a Toyota transmission including the transmission computer.

We're any wires unplugged when you pulled the engine ?
Oh found something in my search I'll need to get to my laptop.... back soon

BTW Love the gauge faces

thanks for great info. I will see what I get.
I never unplugged any wires going to transmission during whole engine rebuild.
Pulled it out. disconnected as minimal as possible. pulled it. Rebuilt. and dropped back in.
Issue was not happening before.
gotta be something I did.

green mesa xj. Thanks for pointing me to some more information.
Now I understand at least what it is doing.
The torque converter is unlocking during hitting gas.
According to all the info I have read now.
Im pretty sure its either the solenoid. or wiring that got tugged. (miscommunication from tps to tcu ?)

Glad it helped. I've had very few issues with this transmission, it's hard to find good guides for what it's doing.

You have replaced the tps, and it does this in relationship to the throttle I'd check those wires.

if it is just the TConverter unlocking I'd replace the brake light switch just because if it's shorting out it will cause the same thing to happen, it'd be strange to have do it when it does, but its Far easier than the solenoid or replacing the Tconverer.

Does it shift fine without the computer?
Maybe it's the transmission control computer. Of course I've not seen too many of those go bad. Also have a hard time believing the transmission suddenly failed when the engine came out.

Can the kick down cables go bad?

Yeah I found very little for troubleshooting it as well...
yep thats my starting point.
Im going to spend Saturday and sunday trying to cure this.
The jeep has developed a slight whine. on the higher pitched side. It doesnt sound bad really. Ive heard many new cars whine like that from the transmission. but maybe it Could be a possible TQ issue .. it sounds like its from there.

So. I know its a pulled wire. Or at least pretty sure.

I washed the car at one of those spray and wash places. sprayed the front of the axle.
(water must have splashed onto something.)
Drove away.
Problem is gone.
5mins later.
returns.
my thinking is water made a connection. then dried up

Still gotta unplug the tcu but pretty sure I got some wire searching to do...

Suddenly its stopped doing it. execept for one time 3 days ago.
Im going to pull the whole harness off the transmission and check every wire.
I don't trust the jeep. lol Its not fixed til you replace something....
hastahasta

Weird the problem went away on its own. But that's a jeep for you.
We've got an intermittent stalling at first start up, it went away for months just started again the other morning taking the boys to school (they love to ride in their "vintage" jeep). Does it once in the morning then it's fine the rest of the day.
I'll Trouble shoot it again this weekend, not expecting to find much.

Yep. typical jeep issues....
off topic.. but I scored a closeout tie rod (the long one that connects the whole steering) on rock auto for $5 it was marked severe duty. holy crap its 40% thicker than the original. super beefy. and for only $5 too... shipping was like $10. but they are 40 for offbrand... Score !

Stalling when starting up. check your fuel filter in the tank. replace the filter under the rear of the car. then next I would do Fuel pressure regulator.
Ive read tons about stalling issues with jeeps and dealt with it a bit. Mine was fpr... if you haven't done those check pressure at rail
Or possible grounding fuel pump / fuel pimp wire issue. Lots of mechanics remove gas tanks on these jeeps to replace them and accidentally forget to unplug the fuel pump..... seen it a few times at shops...
both filters can be had on ebay/rock auto for cheap.

also. while you got the pump out to change the filter, check the gas tank. Mine had crud in it.
If its intermittent. something could be sucking onto the filter surface... car starts. pump gets blocked. car stalls. pump turns off. releasing the particle and it works fine. next start.

Last edited:
The regulator isn't that old, I always forget to bring back the fuel pressure gauge to check it.

Fuel filter, can't recall exactly 3 years ago at the newest. In tank would be recent because I put the oem setup back, no more than 2 years.

Already did the bypass test, crap can't remember the name, that ceramic deal on the fender. No change either way.

This jeep didn't used to be driven much but the boys suddenly decided they love the old jeep and that's how they want to go to school. It was 4 months before he took the bus again and then only a few days before he wanted to ride the jeep again. :)

When I heard them leave this morning, usually I'm not here for that, she gave it a rev as it started to stumble and it came right back. Not sure what that means.
Also starting to notice more blow back on the air filter, the motor is getting tired, compression is dropped to the lower end of acceptable, but it still runs strong.

I'll have to bring the fuel pressure gauge back and test next weekend. Might do the filter Sunday just to have it done.

BTW when I did the pump last time it looked very clean in the tank, not perfect but not worrying either. Might have done the external filter then too but can't remember .

Last edited:
throw some seafoam through her also. if you havnt yet. that stuff does wonders.
I pour it through a vaccum line into engine. cures so much.
Did my 82 Honda motorcycle. and it raised compression 30 pounds

throw some seafoam through her also. if you havnt yet. that stuff does wonders.
I pour it through a vaccum line into engine. cures so much.
Did my 82 Honda motorcycle. and it raised compression 30 pounds

I'll do the seafoam trick around the next oil change. Last time I cleaned it like that was when I first got it. Many, many miles since then.
Forgot what day last Sunday/yesterday was never worked on the cars.

The engine still runs very good, with great oil pressure. it's got a lot of life still. But realistically I realise it's got to be replaced/rebuilt some time.

Did you solve your transmission woes? It seems to me that one of the first steps in diagnostics got skipped over in the shuffle.

Confirm the complaint,
Repair all known issues************NSS********
Determine all related symptoms****R LIGHTS***
Analyze observations/data
Isolate the problem
Repair as needed
Verify repair

Not to sound like a jackass, but if youre having NSS troubles, and your trans is shifting funny...

I'm just saying that maybe the computer isn't sure what gear you put it in. Maybe it thinks you are changing your mind....

Computers only know what they are told, garbage in, garbage out.

Fix your NSS.

Did you solve your transmission woes? It seems to me that one of the first steps in diagnostics got skipped over in the shuffle.

Confirm the complaint,
Repair all known issues************NSS********
Determine all related symptoms****R LIGHTS***
Analyze observations/data
Isolate the problem
Repair as needed
Verify repair

Not to sound like a jackass, but if youre having NSS troubles, and your trans is shifting funny...

I'm just saying that maybe the computer isn't sure what gear you put it in. Maybe it thinks you are changing your mind....

Computers only know what they are told, garbage in, garbage out.

Fix your NSS.

cannot agree more. its on the list.

I fixed the low idle issue also . It was timing. I had to retard it 3 degrees back to account for the cam.

Yep. typical jeep issues....
off topic.. but I scored a closeout tie rod (the long one that connects the whole steering) on rock auto for $5 it was marked severe duty. holy crap its 40% thicker than the original. super beefy. and for only $5 too... shipping was like $10. but they are 40 for offbrand... Score !

Stalling when starting up. check your fuel filter in the tank. replace the filter under the rear of the car. then next I would do Fuel pressure regulator.
Ive read tons about stalling issues with jeeps and dealt with it a bit. Mine was fpr... if you haven't done those check pressure at rail
Or possible grounding fuel pump / fuel pimp wire issue. Lots of mechanics remove gas tanks on these jeeps to replace them and accidentally forget to unplug the fuel pump..... seen it a few times at shops...
both filters can be had on ebay/rock auto for cheap.

also. while you got the pump out to change the filter, check the gas tank. Mine had crud in it.
If its intermittent. something could be sucking onto the filter surface... car starts. pump gets blocked. car stalls. pump turns off. releasing the particle and it works fine. next start.

Just did a fuel pressure test on start up, it did the rpm dip like usual , didn't stall but never really dropped pressure, stayed right about 30psi, 40 with the vacuum off the regulator.
What's the pressure supposed to be? Trying to look it up on my phone has limits. I was thinking 35-45 psi

Back