• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swap???

thanks for the good reply 5-90! i already got the tranny, bellhousing, and t-case adapter to use a A-II,D300, or a 231. i know that i will need new DL's and some crossmeber work done.

the main question that i need to know that no one has said any thing about is my computer and sensors. i know what everything else i need im just not sure what sensors need to be changed and i know i should swap computers but is it nessasary.

thanks

Well, what year XJ do you have? The early "Renix" XJ's used a seperate TCU, so deleting the auto is simplicity, but later versions can be integrated with the ECM and may cause it to need to be swapped - and I can't answer that without more information.

Where in NoCal are you? I'm down here in San Jose, and may be able to put your discarded AW4 bits to good use...

5-90

norcalxj said:
the main question that i need to know that no one has said any thing about is my computer and sensors. i know what everything else i need im just not sure what sensors need to be changed and i know i should swap computers but is it nessasary.

thanks

The CPS or crank position sensor normally mounts on the bellhousing and reads the noches in the flywheel to tell the computer the crank position can be relocated to the front of the engine if you buy a kit from HESCO which is very expensive. It replaces the harmonic dampener with their piece that has noches built in and a CPS sensor and bracket. As for the Auto tranny wireing, it has its own computer mounted under the dash on the passenger side which you can just unplug. The engine ECU has no control over the tranny shifting. I know because I droped my AW-4 for an AX-15 and pulled out the tranny computer. Over on Jeepsunlimited in the Speed Freaks forum a guy swaped an auto for a stick and has a write up on what he did.

Good Luck

AARON

as far as the cps, it has to be pretty close to the stock location but does not have to be exact. If you buy an advance adapter bellhousing it should have the spot for it. I was too cheap to buy a bellhousing when I put a t-18 in my yj so I just cut a hole in the bellhousing and made a bracket that bolts to a bellhousing moutning bolt and the sensor. It works fine. Don't bother going with a np231 if you're running 38" tires and a t-18. It's a wimpy x-fer case. Also, don't listen to the rest of these left foot lazy people, the t-18 works fine off-road, is very strong, and is very cheap as well!

Back