• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Flush over 100,000 miles?

I would never have my trans power flushed, a proper trans flush machine runs off the pump. Being a GA in our schools automotive department I have flushed 20 or so trans all with over 100k including my own jeep and have never had an issue.

Is there a difference between Flush and Power Flush?

Yes a good machine will only tap in line with a cooler line and runs of the trans pump to cycle new fluid in while keeping the old fluid. A power flush uses an external pump to force fluid possibly dislodging debris. I think that’s where trans flushes got a bad name. But like I said a good machine only uses the jeeps pump and will not cause any harm.

Is there a difference between Flush and Power Flush?

I flush mine by myself annually, by pulling the tranny cooler return line and following the process that 5150 described.

My buddy runs a 2nd generation tranny repair shop and he fixes trannys all the time, after folks get a Power Flush from other local shops. He does not have a Power Flush machine and warns folks against having this done to your rig.

Power flush setups force the fluid through the tranny at higher than internal pump pressures, which too often dislodges debris that has built up over time in passageways in the valve body, etc. This debris will often plug up check ball valves, which in turn, cause the tranny to malfunction.

Power Flushes are a great way to get rigs back into the shop shortly after this process, for a more expensive teardown and/or rebuild.

Well I went ahead with the flush today at Aamco. I think they ended up cycling about 16 gallons thru the tranny. Put quite a few miles on it today. Call me crazy, but it shifts much smoother now. Thanks for your opinions on the topic...

I wait to hear how the trans is doing in a few weeks or months, I do hope it doesn't have any issues.

How much did that cost for 16 gallons of trans oil?

Measure what you drain out, put the same amount back in. Don't guess-timate

confirm the level is right before pulling the plug, drain out X quarts, replace with X quarts, then double check the dipstick.
:huh:

You're flippin' kidding right? Oh well too each his own!

I flush mine by myself annually, by pulling the tranny cooler return line and following the process that 5150 described.

Power flush setups force the fluid through the tranny at higher than internal pump pressures, which too often dislodges debris that has built up over time in passageways in the valve body, etc. This debris will often plug up check ball valves, which in turn, cause the tranny to malfunction.

Got it. Thank you.

I did a drive way flush on mine when it was about 145,000 miles young and 10,000 miles after I bought it. It had problem shifting. I used the oil cooler line with the engine running and flushed 12 quarts of oil through it 3 times in about 1,000 miles. The AW4 was badly neglected. Replaceing the shift solonoids cured the problems. The XJ now have about 235,000 miles on it with a diet of Amsoil replaced at about 35,000 mile intervals at about 12 quarts per transfusion.

Back