• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Died, Options?

You're gonna get raped if you rely on a stealership to diagnose /fix it.
If you're nowhere near it I'd contact a tow truck, find a decent jeep/4x4 shop, and send the wrecker to pick up your jeep. Let the wrecker driver tell them he's there so the dealer doesn't accidentally drain the fluid or...
I'm willing to bet it's not the tranny...that case going dry could have toasted the chain. But jut taking the word of a dealer willing to sell you a 1500 tranny for 4k? Good luck. ..

I wouldn't even consider paying a grand for one. I see them all the time used for 100-200 dollars. with the price you paid for that Cherokee, you need to save all the money you can. I've seen TJ Wranglers for less than that

check out car-part.com depending on the dismantler they usually have a warranty too.

Update:
Alright figured I'd I do the internet justice and will post an update. I'll get pictures up later today.

After being a bum for about a month and a half, my buddy and I finally decided to do the dirty work ourselves and dropped my Transmission along with the Transfer case. It seems that credit for being closest to the problem may have been XCM. :)

Having dropped both the transmission, we "Turn Tested" (Idk, just what my friend called it.) the transfer case. Put the tranny in park, the t-case wouldn't spin, put the Tranny in gear and the T-case would spin. Which apparently pointed to something in my transmission being the problem. The Transmission pretty damn close to brand new looking ATF, and only a very fine layer of metal on the two magnets. No chucks or anything. The T-case looked quite a bit darker and definetly had more metal then the Transmission. However no chucks came out. My companies mechanic recommend for me to take the Torque converter off next, which also seemed fine upon inspection.

I figured before I dig any deeper it would be best to do my due diligence and take apart the t-case since apparently those are much easier then Transmissions.

However, after the bribery of our company mechanic with the promise of beverages of his choosing he said he'd do it for me.

Inside we found several... problems. And what according to him what was almost definitely the problem. It also could of been the cause of some other noise I had experienced. While off-roading in the past.

1- The Shift fork was worn down to about half of its width where it would come in contact with the Range sleeve.

2- The teeth of the Range Sleeve were ground down on one side. As it was apparently slipping backwards since the Shift fork was worn down so much. He thinks that it eventually heated up and at speed when the tranny shifted that the sleeve disconnected. But when it was disconnected and no pressure of driving it was able to be hand twisted. Hence the "Turn Test" working earlier. (Or that's what I got out of what he said, haha.)

3- Some Seal looked obliterated. Probably the last piece to give out when it died. (I'll update this later when I get a list of things that need to be fixed in it back.)

4- The Filter/magnet had done their job a little too well and had quite a bit of small chucks all over both.

5- The chain had stretch quite a bit. It was loose almost to the point of rubbing the T-case housing. (Probably a non-issue related problem.)

I'll take some pictures this afternoon, I'm probably going to paint the tranny and replace its filter since we went through the trouble of dropping them both. Currently weighing the option between a Remanufactured T-case from SmartParts Auto or getting an Atlas.

TL;DR - My T-case is definitely bad. Now the PC tech in me says that doesn't rule out the Transmission also having problems. But everyone reassures me both going out at the same time is super rare. So I'm just going to go ahead and replace the problem. Pictures -Pending-

Last edited:
Not sure whats with the ... I figured it was best to come back and bring what answers I found rather then leave just another tread without some resolution.

Here some pics of the broken parts.

Filter
Seal
Fork
Range Sleeve

Again thanks for the help, I probably would of just taken it to a shop without your guys advice.

The noises you were describing kind of sounded like a transfer case that died. Mechanically, the most reliable part of a 2000 model year Cherokee is going to be the Toyota transmission. It should crack the head, break a piston and have pinion bearing failure before the AW4 transmission dies.

Would have sucked to put $3700 into it and end up with the same problem because it was not your transmission

Let us know when you get it back together if that indeed was the problem. The loose chain may have been more than you suspect -- it can get even looser as it gets hot (metal expands!) and could have been slipping, though I've seen them wear through the transfer case on older models before slipping...

Hist an FYI, You can always spin the output shaft of an automatic tranny no matter what gear it's in, unless it's in park, so the spin test' shows absolutely nothing. Also when you take apart the t-case the chain will always look loose because the shaft will move without the other bearing in the case half not being there.

Back