• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails in VA So. of Harrisonburg

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
Looking for some legal trails to run South of Harrisonburg Va. I am taking a bunch of folks on an overnight trip in to GWNF west of Harrisonburg in June. My local club runs a bunch of trails in West and North of Harrisonburg all the time but they are getting a bit boring except for the newbies.

Anything North of Buena Vista and south of Harrisonburg either east or west of I-81 would be great.

I will be pre-running this winter/spring to get the timing down.

John

2nd this. and i want in on the run yall will be doin. keep me posted

2nd this. and i want in on the run yall will be doin. keep me posted

Big Levels and State Line is on the list already. I hope to get a couple more that are worth the gas. So much of GWNF is just fire road, with a few like Flagpole being a rough fire road. Big Levels is at least new to the club I am president of (Northern Virginia Jeepers Assoc.).

I plan on doing a recon of each route and would love to have some fellow NAXJA members go along and make it a weekend long event. The run in June is a closed mixed model run for NVJA and maybe Off Camber Crawlers (mixed make).

If a couple trail get posted up I dont see any reason we cant put on a NAXJA SE Chapter overnight event in April or May. Less whining from the JK owners about scratches and dents along with fewer breakdowns from the YJ owners. I'm gonna get flamed for these comments on my club board.

John

Anytime you all want to come down and run Potts I'm game! The trail will close Jan1-April.

I hoped to get up there this week but my junk is down right now so It will have to be in the spring.

I can assure you the trail is worth the drive!

Potts is an awesome trail. Not to derail your thread or anything, but how is the state line trail? A few local guys from PA were thinking about running it, but couldn't find much up-to-date info on it...

Just moved back to NVA from CO, would love an excuse to take my jeep out. I'll watch the thread for updates

I got my junk back together today but i need to road test it for a couple of days and see how this new gear set is going to hold up. I might be down for a trip through Potts on Saturday.

Just moved back to NVA from CO, would love an excuse to take my jeep out. I'll watch the thread for updates

How close to the DC area are you?

Potts is an awesome trail. Not to derail your thread or anything, but how is the state line trail? A few local guys from PA were thinking about running it, but couldn't find much up-to-date info on it...

http://novajeepers.net/index.php?topic=5429.0
http://4x4icon.com/offroad/state_line_081101/index.htm

The above links give some idea of where the trail (state line/county line) is.

Here is an old video of Potts mountain. Not sure if this is a legal trail or not or where the trail head is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_8MdkKFzG4

and a map of where its suppose to be.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/596722

Its a bit further south than I was hoping for but if its as hard as the video shows then its worth the trip.

If anyone can speak to the legality of wheeling Potts Mountain trail I would sure like hear from them.

John

js_customs,

Potts is apparently one of the very best trails in Va outside of the private pay to play parks. One of the NVJA members has run it many times I just found out and he concurs that its well worth the drive. Lots of you tube posts by Seven Hills Jeep Club showing the rocks. Way better than the rough fire roads we have up north here.

John

Living in Clifton

Break for off topic:

When I was in SoCal NAXJA was very active. Not a lot of NAXJA activity up here in DC since most SE chapter members are further south than us. I ended up joining Northern Virginia Jeepers Association since they are the biggest and most active club in the DC area. We have about a dozen NAXJA members in our club (270 members total).

I am holding an NVJA meet and greet at Hooters in Fairfax on the 29th. Come on over and lets meet up (sending a PM with more info). We have club rides every month and at least one non club sponsored ride organized on the club web site each month in the DC area.

John

Potts is most definitely legal and well marked by our club. The FS just recently let us open two "play areas" and there will be more!

Just like any other NF trail, your rig must be street legal, tagged and insured. All drinking and driving rules apply as well.

Back