• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails in Florida?

Scott Mac

NAXJA Member #10
I just recently relocated from the MWC down to Dunedin FL in the Tampa area.
Are there any 4x4 trails this far south that doesn't involve blown motors and tractor tires?
How far north would I need to travel to participate in some decent trail rides.

Scott Mac.

I just recently relocated from the MWC down to Dunedin FL in the Tampa area.
Are there any 4x4 trails this far south that doesn't involve blown motors and tractor tires?
How far north would I need to travel to participate in some decent trail rides.

Scott Mac.

My condolences.... Florida IMHO sucks. My parents live in Vero Beach across the state from you. There is only two real places to wheel that I know of in Florida. Ocalla National Forest north of Orlando and another place that I believe is a private park of some sorts. Maybe Jason will chime in he lives up that way. They next locations you have are private parks in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Depending on how you are built you might find the only two Forrest fun. Uwharrie National Forrest outside of Charlotte, and Beasley Knob in Blairsville, GA. What takes you down to FL?

Florida does suck. I have a 1 ton and a trailer specifically to be able to leave the state!

BUT you can find little areas with a days worth of riding.

Google or facebook The Jeep Ranch. It's in Wildwood which is about 70-90 mins north of Tampa.
Also there's Hardrock which is here in Ocala but I haven't been there in years.

There are other places with sand and mud-Croom and Richloam are a little closer to you but I think Croom is ATV/UTV only.

Check also for some of the state and national forests (RE Ocala National Forest). Some trails...again sand and mud.

Welcome to Florida. :( LOL

My condolences.... Florida IMHO sucks. My parents live in Vero Beach across the state from you. There is only two real places to wheel that I know of in Florida. Ocalla National Forest north of Orlando and another place that I believe is a private park of some sorts. Maybe Jason will chime in he lives up that way. They next locations you have are private parks in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Depending on how you are built you might find the only two Forrest fun. Uwharrie National Forrest outside of Charlotte, and Beasley Knob in Blairsville, GA. What takes you down to FL?

My wife's work brought us down here. She had a offer we couldn't refuse. Better money and she loves the heat and beach life. So the lack of Jeepin' down here is a small compromise to make. That and the older I get the more I hate cold winters. We're only a few miles from the gulf and so far so good. I'm not as miserable as I thought I would be.

I suggest that you sell the Jeep and buy a nice sports car.

Or a airplane.

Florida does suck. I have a 1 ton and a trailer specifically to be able to leave the state!

BUT you can find little areas with a days worth of riding.

Google or facebook The Jeep Ranch. It's in Wildwood which is about 70-90 mins north of Tampa.
Also there's Hardrock which is here in Ocala but I haven't been there in years.

There are other places with sand and mud-Croom and Richloam are a little closer to you but I think Croom is ATV/UTV only.

Check also for some of the state and national forests (RE Ocala National Forest). Some trails...again sand and mud.

Welcome to Florida. :( LOL

Thanks, I'll check out the Jeep Ranch.

Jason "043500" is one of the few in Florida that makes the trek every year to Harlan, KY for the crawl. If you have Friday's off you could easily drive Friday to a park and Wheel Saturday and drive home. What type of wheeling do you do?

Jason "043500" is one of the few in Florida that makes the trek every year to Harlan, KY for the crawl. If you have Friday's off you could easily drive Friday to a park and Wheel Saturday and drive home. What type of wheeling do you do?

At the moment just mild trails. I sold my XJ years a go and just recently picked up a WJ and add a few inches and 31ish size tires. I'll be heading out to Moab for the big event next year.

At the moment just mild trails. I sold my XJ years a go and just recently picked up a WJ and add a few inches and 31ish size tires. I'll be heading out to Moab for the big event next year.

If you are building a WJ be sure to check out Ironman4x4fab. Andy is an old friend and a sponsor here. That rig sounds like it would be a lot of fun at Uwharrie. That is about 640 miles from you in NC. It's a big haul but has some nice things going on. A lake, shooting range, about 15 miles of ohv trails, hiking trails, and mountain bike trails. It's a fun place and only a couple hours from me. I try to get a group to go camping there at least once a year. Haven't done that yet this year.

If you are building a WJ be sure to check out Ironman4x4fab. Andy is an old friend and a sponsor here. That rig sounds like it would be a lot of fun at Uwharrie. That is about 640 miles from you in NC. It's a big haul but has some nice things going on. A lake, shooting range, about 15 miles of ohv trails, hiking trails, and mountain bike trails. It's a fun place and only a couple hours from me. I try to get a group to go camping there at least once a year. Haven't done that yet this year.

Thamk you, that'll definitely be on my bucket list.

I ran into the Ironrock guys at Winterfest, great bunch of guys.

I live in Jacksonville FL since 2012 and I can say for sure that there are not a lot of places to wheel unless you enjoy mud in the Southern half of FL and/or sand and water combination in the Northern half.

The Ocala National Forest is about the best up here. Osceola National park is near Jacksonville but with the rain we have been having lately there will be plenty of sandy water holes. Then there is the Hard Rock Cycle park on Northwest Gainesville Road which caters more to motor cycles but also some good mid level 4WD trails.

Best thing to do is a search of 4WD clubs in North Florida as well as in your area (and there are many) and do a tag-a-long. That is what I usually do but from Jacksonville.

Welcome to the Sunshine State and enjoy the beaches we have to offer.

P.S. Daytona Beach (on the beach itself) is a place where lots of 4WD enthusiast like to be seen but mostly Jeeps.

Back