• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Advice

I believe that truck is a Duramaxx diesel. If you use the suburban expect more like 4mpg and hope for more. I get 6 if I'm lucky with my 460FI and scale around 18k.

Yes I have the duramax in my truck with a mild towing tune on it. Empty my truck averages 22mpg highway and 17city. Towing my normal load of just one jeep I get 13mpg. I could probably get better but with just one jeep behind that truck I tend to drive like a pissed off teenager. Set the cruise a 70 and sip coffee as I cruise up the pass while the truck isn't even breaking a sweat.

Fully loaded for KOH we average 10.5.

Are you till thinking about towing 2 jeeps with a gas burb?

Before you posted that the burb was a 2006 LTZ 6.0L

You can't town with this truck

Here's why
It's a 1500 (that's a 1/2 ton truck)
Your tires are C rated at best, you need D or even better E rated tires for towing.

My truck (2003 Chevy 3500 quad cab dually with the Duramax) is rated to tow 14000 with the factory hitch provided you use a weight distribution hitch. I removed the factory hitch and added a torklift superhitch which ups the trailer weight to 20K. I have E rated TOYO A/T's on the truck and G rated Goodyears on the trailer.

If you want to haul any serious weight you need to get at least a 3/4 ton truck to do it safely. In fact the model year 2003 srw 3/4 chevy with the big block gas motor is factory rated to tow more than my diesel powered 1 ton.

I know many folks that tow with 1/2 ton trucks. They do okay. But they are the ones with failing transmissions and rear differentials. Bigger truck = bigger parts = less stress on the truck. If it were me and this was a ONE TIME thing, I would go for it with the burb. If this is going to become your regular towing configuration, you need a bigger truck.

Rent a U-haul truck and park the jeep in the container, and tow the XJ down there on a trailer.

Yes I have the duramax in my truck with a mild towing tune on it. Empty my truck averages 22mpg highway and 17city. Towing my normal load of just one jeep I get 13mpg. I could probably get better but with just one jeep behind that truck I tend to drive like a pissed off teenager. Set the cruise a 70 and sip coffee as I cruise up the pass while the truck isn't even breaking a sweat.

Fully loaded for KOH we average 10.5.

My truck (2003 Chevy 3500 quad cab dually with the Duramax) is rated to tow 14000 with the factory hitch provided you use a weight distribution hitch. I removed the factory hitch and added a torklift superhitch which ups the trailer weight to 20K. I have E rated TOYO A/T's on the truck and G rated Goodyears on the trailer.

If you want to haul any serious weight you need to get at least a 3/4 ton truck to do it safely. In fact the model year 2003 srw 3/4 chevy with the big block gas motor is factory rated to tow more than my diesel powered 1 ton.

I know many folks that tow with 1/2 ton trucks. They do okay. But they are the ones with failing transmissions and rear differentials. Bigger truck = bigger parts = less stress on the truck. If it were me and this was a ONE TIME thing, I would go for it with the burb. If this is going to become your regular towing configuration, you need a bigger truck.

Rent a U-haul truck and park the jeep in the container, and tow the XJ down there on a trailer.

I'm not talking about your truck.. I'm talking about josh, I think he's still thinking he's going to use a burb to tow 2 jeeps.

I'm not talking about your truck.. I'm talking about josh, I think he's still thinking he's going to use a burb to tow 2 jeeps.

Yes, I know. I was just trying to explain the truck I have and it's capabilities. Just to show that I have the proper equipment to tow this much weight and what it actually takes to do it safely.

Like I stated above, while not within spec of the burb I might do it if it were a one time thing. Upgrade the hitch, keep the trans out of OD and if the engine starts knocking, run premium fuel. Go slow and steady ensure you have GOOD trailer brakes and you are constantly vigilant on your surroundings.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. I was just trying to explain the truck I have and it's capabilities. Just to show that I have the proper equipment to tow this much weight and what it actually takes to do it safely.

Like I stated above, while not within spec of the burb I might do it if it were a one time thing. Upgrade the hitch, keep the trans out of OD and if the engine starts knocking, run premium fuel. Go slow and steady ensure you have GOOD trailer brakes and you are constantly vigilant on your surroundings.

My father inlaw has a 2007 duramaxx and can't get any better then 15 no matter what he does. But it does have a but load of power!

Really?

8-9k over load the burb tow rating?
5k trailer
4,200 jeep
4,200 jeep
That's 13,400lbs towing with a truck rated to 5k.. 7k if he had load bars.

I see 3 totaled rigs a totaled trailer and 3-8 dead people on the hwy

Or a dead truck half way up the first hill in traffic trying to back down

The burb is a half ton

Half ton tires
Half ton brakes

What happens when your 5,000lb tow rig blows a C rated tire at 50 with 13,400lbs behind it?

Or the hitch rips off the tuck ( cus you have not then 600-1,000 lbs on the ball and 8,400lbs to much pulling)

Just something to chew on....

Really?

That's 13,400lbs towing with a truck rated to 5k.. 7k if he had load bars.
Just something to chew on....

I'm buying what your selling.

If it were me I'd do it for a single trip.

Or we could go the Pirate 4x4 route and say that you can't tow anything unless you have a C4500 Kodiak with a built trans and tuned Duramax.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/376271-big-dumb-loads-post-your-pics.html

It's the year before and I think the only year that is common rail without the dpf.

The 03 trucks are reported to get the best mileage out of all the 6.6L Diesels. I guess I just picked the right year.

I'm buying what your selling.

If it were me I'd do it for a single trip.

Not to hasta but

You know curb wight of his truck is 6ish

6A83D2F4-07E1-47FA-AB30-7EEDDDC31FAD-2902-000001EB86317B8B.jpg

And with 8 tow miles under his belt, and 600 miles each way, and over the Siskiyous mountains.....I think it's Suicide

Don't get me wrong I would go a few K over my limit but 8-9k is way to much.

Iv made my point more then clear.

I'm done

I see this

658F80B9-8776-4486-991F-DE6180ADCFDF-2902-000001F0EB2E335E.jpg

At 50 MPH

708D03AF-CBBC-4A6E-BEF6-474779BEB752-2902-000001F0E5D0A27A.jpg

9F4B51E2-7C9F-41BD-8F19-0A18683CD890-2902-000001F0E8E1F2F6.jpg

3A933240-FDF9-472B-BBAA-8A10FA5F8BB9-2902-000001F0E6FFD7B3.jpg

0F095608-692E-4051-AEE6-342591C15B9E-2902-000001F0E8742025.jpg

I wish you the best of luck

Last edited:
Not to hasta but

You know curb wight of his truck is 6ish

And with 8 tow miles under his belt, and 600 miles each way, and over the Siskiyous mountains.....I think it's Suicide

Don't get me wrong I would go a few K over my limit but 8-9k is way to much.

Iv made my point more then clear.

I'm done

I see this

I wish you the best of luck

I hate to be the devils advocate...

Like I said before, I used to tow with a 1/4 ton jeep Grand Cherokee. Did it pull? Yes. I had a class IV hitch on with load bars. Was it safe? **** NO. I knew my limits and never let the trailer take over.

My worst ever towing incident was towing with a 2009 F-150 5.4 liter. It would do okay climbing the passes, but on the way down the trailer started swaying BAD. A very scary thing to ride the trailer brakes and speed up in the tow rig to get your load going straight down the road. We pulled off at the next exit, loaded the rig as far forward on the trailer as we could and drove the rest of the way very slowly.

This was in a truck that was 4K under the towing rating with the load it was hauling. No sway control, no load distributing hitch well within spec. Way stupid.

I can't word this properly for the OP so I'm just going to say, you need a bigger truck.

This is with my old 24' trailer. I'm just guessing around 6k total then. I don't know what the Wrangler weighed then, but now it's 3,800 on the dot. Also I don't remember if the trailer weighed 2,300 or 3,300? It was made from a 34' terry travel trailer frame. I do remember it was 6" Chanel and I added 6 6" Chanel crossmembers along with the sides,fenders,deck.
ary3u9yr.jpg

This is with my old 24' trailer. I'm just guessing around 6k total then. I don't know what the Wrangler weighed then, but now it's 3,800 on the dot. Also I don't remember if the trailer weighed 2,300 or 3,300? It was made from a 34' terry travel trailer frame. I do remember it was 6" Chanel and I added 6 6" Chanel crossmembers along with the sides,fenders,deck.
ary3u9yr.jpg

Would you put another jeep ( so 2 jeeps) on the trailer and go 1,200 miles round trip?

That's going to fold like a taco
I wouldn't tow the Wrangler with my Cherokee.
I really wouldn't want to tow the empty trailer with my Cherokee.

red jeep stop it!!! I need the work. so do you. if people want to go out and wreck there shit let them. where we work we need dumb people to do stuff like this. if he doesnt wreck at least he will kill that semi floate rear end,trans, and the cooling system on the burb. I dont tow for aaa but i do tow a lot for other ins. places and it IS expensave to tow a tow rig and there trailer cuse they over load it cuse its a full size 3/4 ton w/a v8.

sent from my computer on dial up after getting good and drunk.

in the end you will load your trailor your way and tow it with what ever you have to tow it with. but please for the love of god... or what ever you worship..

Lessen to everyone. just becuase it has a tow rating and you have a load dose not mean that your comination of rig and trailer can properly handle it...

This means that in an emergency (tire blown, California driver cutting you off) or anything that is not normal driving your rig will not handle the added stress... we are not trying to say you can not handle it with proper equipment.

Here is food for you with your sub fully loaded towing a trailer over loaded what is you min safe stopping distance in an emergency going 55mph? bet you would shit your pants if you where in the truck and still not stopped after 200ft.

you may be willing yo risk your own life but your going to be on the road driving with others and past my family with a unsafe load.... do you really forget about everyone else on the road? what would you do if something happen and because of the unsafe over loaded that you kill someone.... is it worth it.. is it worth being in a wheelchair over?
I don't think so.
So please think of the others on the road before yourself. remember they are idiots and will try to wreck you. you know better then to do this so don't.

Like I said earlier. get a quote to ship your rigs down and back. you will save money time frustration and breakdowns. Or put a Staging aria post. you may a few people that will also ship there rigs down to reduce to cost of shipping. or a few people that have the right tow rigs that will tow your rigs down.

there are always better options then cutting corners.

That's your solution right there - rent a large truck from Ryder or U-haul. Put both Jeeps in the truck, or put the narrower one in and add a trailer behind.

You can setup the inside portion of the truck for comfortable camping - lights, couch, TV, fridge, generator, cots - the works...

That's your solution right there - rent a large truck from Ryder or U-haul. Put both Jeeps in the truck, or put the narrower one in and add a trailer behind.

You can setup the inside portion of the truck for comfortable camping - lights, couch, TV, fridge, generator, cots - the works...

YES

or have 2 tow rigs. :) there is nothing that says you can not have 2...

Buy this...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245809075#post245809075

It's a good deal and look at it as an investment. Cuz there will be more trips like this, like I don't know the ONLY OFFICIAL NAXJA RUN every year NWFest seeing how you are the next prez you should be there. Just sayin

I would tow a 26 foot behind this (ball, 5th, or goose) and feel way better about it.

I pulled off 16mpg to and from NWFest last year wil my cummins
A gas tow rig will get you 5

3/4 ton brakes, 3/4 ton truck... Not a 1/2 ton.

Back