• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tractor fluid in your AW4?

greenfunstore.com was the cheapest I found. Anyone find anything cheaper?

Carquest carries an equivalent to the JD J20C, PN is 760-01 approx 12$/gal YMMV on price, depending on location.

Don't know about the temp reductions but back in the mid 90s we put tractor fluid in 700r4/4l60's that were on their way out from over-abuse. seemed to make them last at least through the winter seasons for the guys with plows on their trucks.

Another option is type F (Ford)tranny fluid. This has been a modification when running Torqueflight transmissions, especially when racing, for decades. The additive package in the type F causes the clutches to grab harder for firmer shifts. Never tried it in the AW4. Just throwing it out there......

Carquest carries an equivalent to the JD J20C, PN is 760-01 approx 12$/gal YMMV on price, depending on location.

i read tons of threads, and they explicitly say to use the brand new hy hard johnny, so I figure its worth the few extra bucks.

I would love to reduce tranny temps 40*, but honestly even 5-10* on the 102* days would be awesome.

i read tons of threads, and they explicitly say to use the brand new hy hard johnny, so I figure its worth the few extra bucks.

I would love to reduce tranny temps 40*, but honestly even 5-10* on the 102* days would be awesome.

Of course "they" say to use the JD branded stuff. You do realize that JD does not actually make the product, correct? And, honestly, since it is not being used in the JD tractor does it REALLY matter?

If I may...

I'm not sure I would run tractor fluid in an AW4, but I am in general suspicious of non-oem-recommended fluids. If it works to keep GM trannies alive, might be worth a shot to try it, worst case you are going to end up swapping out a tranny you can find for under $200 anywhere in the country and flushing the cooler. Big whoop.

Also, I've towed 3500 with a cherokee. It wasn't too bad, stopping was a little scary if I had to do it abruptly but it pulled it just fine. I was significantly helped by the fact that my DD has 25" tires (205/70R15) and is stock height rather than being lifted with oversize tires... I could easily maintain 80 uphill on the highway in overdrive without using much throttle and still pulled around 16mpg for that tank of fuel.

It was a 1000lb utility trailer with a 2500lb bridgeport vertical milling machine plopped on top.

That was the transmission I've posted the stories of abuse about, too. It has lead a very hard life and is still going strong... slipped a little this morning, which means I'm 2qt low on fluid again :anon:

Reportedly the AW4 has a 450 foot pound input torque rating and with a few upgrades can handle 600 foot pounds. The AX15 (found in ~3-4 liter displacement vehicles, generally), NV3550 (NVG replacement for the AX15 in ~99-00 and later CJD vehicles previously using AX15s), and NV3500 (found behind the 5.2L V8 in a variety of CJD vehicles) are all rated at 300 foot pounds. This is probably why the tow rating for a manual XJ is significantly lower... as well as the fact that they have a clutch instead of a torque converter with a ~1.2:1 ratio.

I am assuming you didn't read the thread and then follow up with a google search on the topic, its very intriguing.

I read the thread, but the links in the first post were broken and I haven't looked them up myself, no.

Sorry I meant the thread on the tractor fluid. You might find it very convincing. it sounded like total horse manure until I read up on it. Its starting to sound legit. My first impression was no way in hell and after researching it, I am going to try it. the stuff is transmission fluid and it is rated for the same viscosity, but its like all the other properties are better , and you can use it in the PS .

I'd give it a try, assuming it's no more expensive than Dex VI. With an auxillary trans cooler, I don't think the AW4 in my rig needs any extra help really...

pulled the pan last night and changed the tranny filter for the first time in 8 years. filter was relatively clean. I always have drained the pan 2X a year or more to keep the fluid clean. threw in a little sea foam tranny treatment and some luca tranny treatment,and about 2.1 quarts of john deere hygard. At least for the first drive around town it was fine. I have another 6 quarts so next time I drain the pan in the next few months ill drop some more in. I know there will still be a ton of DexMerc in there.

Back