• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trackbar question

bretto said:
I see...yeah with lifting and with the dumb inverted-y the drag link essentially pulls the drivers tire inward as the drag link's angle changes. I had to draw a pic. That may explain my tire wear on the outside edge and the pull to the right.
Thanks
Brett

Yep, that would do it.

Wiley Coyote said:
On an inverted y steering set up, lifting the vehicle will change the toe in. The draglink goes from the pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle. The tie rod goes from the drivers side knuckle to the draglink (about a foot from the passenger side knuckle). As you lift the vehicle it alters the angles between the pitman arm and the draglink; the draglink and the passenger side knuckle; and also the tie rod and draglink. Trust me, the toe in will have to be reset. It took me a couple of hours on an alignment rack to get the wheels centered, steering wheel centered and the toe in set correctly. The problem is as you adjust the draglink to get the wheels and steering wheel centered it alters the toe in adjustment. You have to go back and forth a couple of times till you find the right combination of draglink and tie rod adjustment that gets everything centered. Like I said, it can be done in a garage, but it is a major pia. It is much easier to just get the toe in and wheels centered and not worry about how the steering wheel looks. It’s not correct, but a lot of people do it. Next time you see a lifted Jeep go look and see if their steering wheel is cockeyed. :laugh3:
lifting will not affect toe but will affect steering wheel position

that is just plain wrong draw you self a picture as the angle of the draglink increases it pulls the tie rod which is attached to it inward. this is for y link steering only if you if you had said for t and crossover you might be right.

I think that BJ is right, if you look at the drag link you have to see that lifting it will change the geometry of it, and since the tie rod is attached to the drag link it would have to change the geometry of the tie rod.

Back