• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar adjusment or TNT control arm adjustment (pictures)

fdsa487 said:
Okay here is the deal. My sway bars, when connected, slam into the springg on the passanger side and the spring on that side is also warped outward.

Thats a common problem. You have the axle twisted forward to turn your pinion up, and the coils are bowing forward and hitting the swaybar.

As was stated, lengthen your swaybar links by at least 1.5", your angles are all wrong there. if they don't go long enough, PM me and I'll trade you a set of the longer ones that I have as I need to get the shorter ones for my new setup.

Also, you can cut 1" off of your swaybar, grind the tube flat again and drill a new hole. I've seen a few guys do that.

-Cal

The sway bar links are not to short, nor is the sway bar itself to long BECUASE THERE IS NO PROBLEM ON THE DRIVERS SIDE.

All I need to do is pull the pinion back by adjusting the upper control arm back some more. The drivers side is perfect. The passanger side is the only side messed up and needs to be adjusted.

Dude, look at the damn picture. The swaybar is supposed to angle upwards 15* to 18*, and yours sits flat. They *ARE* too short.

And for the record, they almost always hit on only one side. Mine hit on only one side as well when I had the same problem.

cal said:
And for the record, they almost always hit on only one side. Mine hit on only one side as well when I had the same problem.

Well, I did not know that. Why would it only hit on one side?

If the sway bar links do not extend out enough to obtain 15* to 18* i'll pm you and we can trade.

fdsa487 said:
The sway bar links are not to short, nor is the sway bar itself to long BECUASE THERE IS NO PROBLEM ON THE DRIVERS SIDE.

All I need to do is pull the pinion back by adjusting the upper control arm back some more. The drivers side is perfect. The passanger side is the only side messed up and needs to be adjusted.

So, you are going to adjust the caster on only one side of a solid axle?

Care to elaborate on the geometric viability of that plan?

CRASH said:
So, you are going to adjust the caster on only one side of a solid axle?

Care to elaborate on the geometric viability of that plan?

Well, correct me if im wrong because I would like you to let me know if you know something that I don't.

I have the TNT LA's so I figure maybe the passanger side is adjusted out to far on the upper and/or lower? I will need to measure the wheel base before I go adjusting allong with the caster angles on both sides to really determine the problem.

Or it coule be like Cal said. The sway bar on that side is just to long and needs to be ground down.

Your caster may be wrong, but if it is, it will be wrong on both sides. You cannot adjust caster on just one side without affecting the opposite side.

Have you checked your wheelbase? Measure front to rear axle tube on both sides.

CRASH said:
Your caster may be wrong, but if it is, it will be wrong on both sides. You cannot adjust caster on just one side without affecting the opposite side.

Have you checked your wheelbase? Measure front to rear axle tube on both sides.

P side = 100.5"
D side = 100.25"

muddshutter said:
I had the same problem on mine. UNTILL..........

We shortened the sway bar.

I took our bench grinder and ground down the metal to the same thickness as the mount itself. I then cut off the old mount hole and drilled a new one. I shortehed it 1" on both sides. Now it has a TON of clearence, it looks stock, and i dod not have to buy new hardware. My Friend Brett came up with the idea. ITS A GOOD THING....

*That is what I would have done...works now. These unit bodies are not perfect.

Isn't .25 of an inch a big deal? When I did my uppers and lowers, I made sure to set the lowers at the same length. But after reading this, that does not mean my axles are parallel. I have always had a pull to the left (and yes it is a pull, it isn't the road) and have had different tires and a few alignments. I will have to check my wheelbase later. I too have the same problem with my swaybar. Thanks for all the good sugestions. I have some wrenching to do before I head out to Moab.

Back