• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS location?

The TPS is the throttle position sensor and it's only mounted to throttle bodies in vehicles with multi-point EFI systems. AFAIK, carbs don't have one.

Dr. Dyno said:
The TPS is the throttle position sensor and it's only mounted to throttle bodies in vehicles with multi-point EFI systems. AFAIK, carbs don't have one.
Why do people INSIST on replying when they don't know the answer?

Yes, your carb'd 2.8 has a TPS, yes it's internal to the carburetor. The top of the carburetor has to come off to service it.

John

Because, as far as he knew (thus, the AFAIK) carburettors don't have them. He's in Saudi, and doesn't have to deal with OBD and feedback carburettors (and they probably didn't have them in Cyprus, either.)

The "Feedback" carburettor is a relative rarity - the worst example of which was the Ford VV (Variable Venture) two-barrel used on the smaller engines. What a nightmare - it's second on my list of "Worst to Rebuild." (The worst is the Honda/Keihin three-barrel.)

I'd not have answered this one without some reference work - but I'm a little more familiar with the idea of feedback carbs. Given his background and location, I'd be mildly surprised to find out that the good doctor had had occasion to play with them at all.

Sorry if this seems a bit rabid - but I'd highly suggest you read some of Dr. Dyno's work around here before you jump at him again - as a rule, he really does know what he's talking about...

5-90

I'm not trashing on anybody.... but you answered your own post, you would have done some research. SO, because Dr. Dyno posted a blatantly WRONG answer and I posted a correct answer, I'm the bad guy? The original poster is from the US, so why would Dr. Dyno think that he was working on a vehicle from his side of the world? I totally understand what you're saying, but don't give me crap about giving a CORRECT answer to a question in TECH.

Thanks, John

Which is why he qualified his answer. Like I said, it's possible he's never played about with a feedback carb, and the idea of a tps in the carburettor is outside his experience.

I'm not saying you're the bad guy - just that some allowances have to be made for varying experiences - both due to time and location. He therefore gave when he believed (within his experience) to be a correct answer, but qualified it as "fuzzy" since he wasn't 100% certain.

We've all been wrong in the past, right? Hell, the other day I told someone he had a D35 up front (boy was I ever off!) Fortunately, no-one jumped all over me - although I did get a bunch of "Are you sure about that?" messages. In all fairness, I'd been working on everything BUT my trucks that day, so I'd just shifted gears on my thinking, and I hadn't had time for all the cards to fall into place...

I think what I'm mainly trying to say is "take it easy" - there's nothing wrong with correcting someone when they're mistaken - but a lot of how you are percieved revolves around just how you do that.

I'm also not giving you a hard time about being right (I'm reasonably sure you are - I just haven't looked it up myself yet. If I had a 2.8L XJ/MJ, the carburettor would be the first thing to go - in favour of later 3.1L MPFI!) - I guess I'm just trying to make the point that it's a lot better for the way people see you if you approach it more as "let me help" than "boy are you ever wrong" - it's a small difference, but it has a large payoff.

5-90

Back