• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing with a wj

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/797264-u-haul-car-trailer.html

people that work there say that uhaul's weight estimate is realistic.

have you ever towed one? They are big fat heavy pigs because they're built to survive being rented to morons.

What he said. The rental places that rent car trailers have them built strong enough to survive a nuclear explosion. Having moved back and forth a few times by order of Uncle Sam I've towed with them more than once. You don't have to worry about them falling apart that's for sure.

In the UK towing with a WJ is pretty common, we don't have much bigger vehicles like the pickups you get to buy in the US. All our weight capacities are metric but the WJs are the same.

WJ rated to tow 3500kg (7700lb)
Car trailer (in UK) is normally 400-800kg (880lb - 1760lb)
XJ on 35s like mine (8274 on winch bumper, long arm, skids etc) is 2000kg (4400lb)

All trailers over 750kg capacity have to have brakes - over-run type is standard here. My trailer has twin axles and both are braked and the trailer is rated to a full capacity of 3500kg.

So, WJ, trailer and XJ is all within capacity with even a little to spare.

Experience of friends that tow with WJs (4.0 and 4.7) say it's fine but requires concentration the whole way, changing down for hills, never exceeding our 60 mph speed limit for towing and needs the trailer to be loaded just right and trailer brakes adjusted just right.

Personally I tow mine with a 3.0 CRD WK and can drive like an idiot and nothing goes wrong unless I don't load the trailer right and then it likes to wobble / snake like a bitch.

Interesting, explains some of the stuff I had wondered about and yes I had to take another driving test to be able to tow a 3500kg trailer.

I do have Jeeping friends that tow with import Ram 3500 diesels just so they never have to slow and can push the 60mph limit even up hill. Makes sense if you guys tow with them at 80mph with much bigger loads.

I've seen guys out in the flat areas of west texas and the western US towing at well over 80 in Cummins equiped trucks haha. I'm talking I'm in a Miata running 90MPH and they are flying by me like I'm tied to a lamp post.

Back