• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing wires

Easyrydin2

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to wire up a trailer brake control in my jeep and need to know which color wire on the oem hitch harness to splice the blue wire from the brake controller to, or if this is even an option. Sorry if this is a dumb guestion but I am new with this hauling stuff and also the previous owner made a mess of my hitch wiring. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Blue should be from the brake switch.
red is 12 volt battery to the brake controller, white/black is ground (seen both from different manufacturers).

I used a crimp slice (split blue ones) to grab the 12 volt line from the brake switch, just behind the pedal. You can grab a brake light line from anywhere same thing, point is the controller need 12 v to tell it the brakes are on.
Use a test light or sharp point meter probe to find the 12V brake light line.

Which side of the Xj does the wiring run down? I havent seen any wires coming out of the back of mine and I wanna know whick side to take apart to find them. I have the wiring diagram for the 85 but I cant tell which side fo the thing it runs down?

I'm also trying to figure out the wiring on my 97 XJ with tow package. I've wired up the brake controller and it 'seems' to be hooked up correctly. What I need to know is if the blue wire is hooked into the large 7 pin connector below the bumper.
I've got all the lights working on the trailer correctly but no trailer brakes. I know the trailer brakes work because we can activate them when it's hooked up to my friends truck.

Back