• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Straps & Trailer Maintenance

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Our 20'+ trailer was submerged in salt water during the flood & we're trying to make sure that it is still safe & workable. It hasn't been moved since then, but we have hosed it down a while back & treated some surface rust. Also put lubricant on the wheel studs/bolts which are pretty rusted. I have some questions & need any additional advice from those in the know:

1) What else should we be checking for safety (and does anyone know of a place in South Jersey that does trailer maintenance)?

The straps were in a steel box mounted to the front & of course it was full of salt water at one point. We're just now getting to cleaning them up. The straps look okay, but:

2) should we toss them & get new ones or can we soak/wash them & still use them for the Jeeps? The hardware is brass & uncorroded.

I'd be repacking the wheel bearing, if not just outright replacing them. And brake pads as well. Open up all of the lights to clean them out, clean all of the connections and maybe cover them up with dielectric grease.

How's the jack? I'd suspect that may just be a replace it.

Check the hitch, at a minimum, I'd grease the heck out of it.

If the ratchet hardware isn't corroded, wash it off well, and oil them. Personally, I don't know of any reason to not wash the straps and let them dry out.

the salt left over when water evaporates is crystalline, and could make microscopic cuts in fibers of the straps reducing its ability and increasing likelihood of a malfunction. anytime i have a question about my straps safety. i toss it. rather safe than sorry.

just a thought

the salt left over when water evaporates is crystalline, and could make microscopic cuts in fibers of the straps reducing its ability and increasing likelihood of a malfunction. anytime i have a question about my straps safety. i toss it. rather safe than sorry.

just a thought
Ever get any dirt or grit on your straps? Gonna throw them away?

I would do what Jeff said, and run the straps through a cycle in the washing machine.

Without detergent.

David Bricker / SYR

lolz - yeah. The hardware on the straps would ruin my brand new post-Sandy washer!

Thanks for the input guys. I found a place that will take the trailer, by the way. It's on Delilah road here in South Jersey and they work on big trucks.

Back