• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Rig Poll

What is your tow rig

• Dodge

Votes: 34 17.9%
  • Ford

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • GM

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • Other (Jeep, Toyota Ect)

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • None

Votes: 73 38.4%

• Total voters
the dodges have weak transmissions. go for the duramax with an allison trans, its almost bulletproof.

Until it electrically craps itself.

Dodge, Chevy and Ford have all had weaker autos in the past but its a thing of the past. The new Aisen 6 speed auto in the Dodges is pretty cool stuff. Like someone else said, you never hear problems about their 6 speed manuals.

Like someone else said, you never hear problems about their 6 speed manuals.

Nope. Now the five speed... ;)

If I were to get a new truck it'd probably be a Ford just to piss off Ryan.

But either way, Ford or Dodge (fawk Chevy!) it'd be a manual, I like to play with sticks. :eek:

For now its my 99 Dodge Ram 1500. The gearing in it sucks for towing right now.

In a couple years I will get a good used Cummins Ram. I have been a Mopar Man all my life and intend to stay that way for a while.

My 2002 Ram...just bought...haven't towed anything yet, but once I get my pops paid back for the truck I will be buying a car hauler.
101_1641.jpg

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Extra Cab Long Bed...

279,000 miles...

I wish I'd spent a little more and bought a GM 2500HD - A friend has two of them, and they are much better in the 'creature comforts' department...

I've been spoiled by their much quieter engines as well as the better on-road performance of the IFS...

If only I could have ordered:

My 2000 Ford F250 4x4 Lariat with:

5.9 Cummins 24V
Allison 6 speed Auto
Dana 70 front
Dana 80 rear

But in reality, I have 151k on my slightly modded Powerstroke(340hp/750tq at the rear tires) and still running the stock tranny. It has been reliable as heck and I have no reservations about towing my XJ on the flatbed, or my 36' 5th wheel RV anytime. Best truck I have ever bought.

How do you vote if you like all of the big three??? my heart lies with Ford, cause its the family pref... I drive a Chevy, and like this truck a lot, and have owned two dodges, which I didn't want to get rid of either, but circumstances made me.... I'm a little torn on this poll :confused1

How do you vote if you like all of the big three???

Well...

It's not about what you like, it's about what you have.

Reading is fundamental.

PS - Got my truck back up and running today, damn 1971 distributor technology!

2003 Tahoe Z71 w/ 5.3 gas guzzler and tow package. Also have a Superduty 7.3 but it is mainly towing the livestock trailers or farm equipment. The Tahoe has all the "creatuure comforts" and even under load rides like a dream. I just wish it was a Suburban for the longer wheel base.

The wife has an 02 Excursion that has to be the most reliable rig we've ever owned. The 7.3 is a heck of a power plant. It's for sale right now if anyones interested...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=971243

My work truck is an 06 Cheby duramax. I love this truck & it has become our primary family "toy hauler" as well.

'05 Dodge crew cab dually. Cummins with six speed and 4x4. It will move anything it's attached to. I haul a backhoe around occasionally that weighs 19k lbs. with the trailer and I can let the clutch out idling and it will take off without stalling. I got this one to replace my '96 3/4 ton Dodge extended cab auto. Only bought the new one cause my kids were complaining about the legroom in the back. I did blow up my trans in the '96 3 times though till I found the right guy to build it for me. Expensive lessons. Never had any issues after getting it done right. Wish I'd have kept that truck for my son to drive.

We all know that whatever you drive it's better than anyone Else's.

Ryan, you SO nailed this on the head. I ALWAYS hate people toughting that their junk/mod is 'great' since they spent their hard earned money on it and out of pride they won't 'knock' it.

If I spend 50K on junk, I will be the first to admit it is junk. ;)

I used to tow with a 97 ZJ with the 318 under the hood.

It had plenty of power to tow, but the trailer tried to take over way too many times. It just wasn't safe. It got old real quick.

I still have the ZJ, but now tow with a 2003 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab Long Box Dually (aint that a mouthful) Anywho it has all the bells and whistles (heated leather seats, DVD, dual climate, etc.)

Nothing says "EX mayor of Hardcoreville" like heated leather seats.

my.php

Last edited:
'05 Ford F250 Crew Shortbed

It'll be for sale soon. Not cause I don't like it, but because I don't like the payment. We're headed for something a little more family oriented now that we got the new dog and we have two kids.

Only one hiccup in the 4300 miles I drove it round trip to Moab. Won't restart when it's hot. Seems to be a common powerstroke problem with the high pressure oil pump system leaking. It's headed to the dealership this week for some warranty work.

Ryan, you SO nailed this on the head. I ALWAYS hate people toughting that their junk/mod is 'great' since they spent their hard earned money on it and out of pride they won't 'knock' it.

If I spend 50K on junk, I will be the first to admit it is junk. ;)

I have my opinions on what is better. I have made them pretty clear in the past. It's just not what this thread is about. I can butt heads with the best of them about why my Dodge is better than anything else out there but I know it won't change anyone's mind.

And spending the money doesn't have anything to do with it. If I spent 50K on a truck that was junk I would warn everyone I could think of away from doing the same thing.

One thing that surprises the hell out of me is how close the race is between Dodge, Ford and Chevy. I would think Dodge or Ford would be walking away from this one. I didn't realize that Chevy was still in the game like they appear to be.

And spending the money doesn't have anything to do with it.

Then we agree to disagree? Even in the industry I am in, consumers claim the best is this, the best is that, and it drives me nuts.

One thing that surprises the hell out of me is how close the race is between Dodge, Ford and Chevy. I would think Dodge or Ford would be walking away from this one. I didn't realize that Chevy was still in the game like they appear to be.

I saw that too.

I think most of that is older ones with those spark plug thingies.

Last edited:
I mis-stated. I meant that's how I feel about it. I don't have any doubt that others do this, I see it all the time.

Got it. :cheers:

Back