• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow rig - Ford or Chevy

Duallies are a personal preference really. I just like knowing that I have that extra tire out back on each side when hauling a trailer. I'm a cop and I've seen far too many truck/trailer related accidents from tire blow outs so that's what I base my preference on. Yeah, you end up spending more for tires....... but that's the ONLY extra expense to owning a dually. Gas mileage/weight differences between dually and non-dually are very insignificant.

That makes sense. I do want to keep all my girls safe. May have to go dually now.

........ Oh, and trying to navigate a long bed, crew cab, dually through most restaurant drive-throughs can be a bitch..... :D

Yes, so I'm assuming the big block would power me (and family, and crap, and Jeep) over the passes without any problems? How does it compare to a diesel of that era?

Yeah, it'll do ok....... but it's gonna SUCK gas in a big way (like 6-8mpg) going up the mountain. You'll still get passed like you're standing still by the diesel rigs getting 13 - 18 mpg towing similar or heavier even.

Until the Duramax, Chevy diesels weren't stellar on performance or durability. Same with the transmissions behind them until they went to the Allison.

I'm also not a big fan of Chevy's independant front suspension on their 3500 series trucks. Lots of moving parts and joints to wear out.

The reasons above are primarily why I went from being a GM truck guy to a Dodge truck guy......... where diesels are concerned anyway.

But for the money and the fact that you probably won't be towing regularly (how often are you going to go over Vail pass towing the family and jeep?) That '95 Chebby seems like a good candidate........

But for the money and the fact that you probably won't be towing regularly (how often are you going to go over Vail pass towing the family and jeep?) That '95 Chebby seems like a good candidate........

Couple times a year, I reckon.

looks like you need to be hoppin a plane to omaha. That one looks like a great deal. I too am a chevy guy and that one is nice. Couple things to consider. in '96 gm gas rigs changed to Vortec heads. Horsepower went from 210-255 on the 350 and from 235-290 on the 454. I had a '98 chevy 2500 xc lb 4x4 with the 6.5 turbo diesel. I liked it better than similar gas rigs that I towed with prior. Better gas milage and slightly better pulling power than 454s. The 4L80E trans in the HD gms in pretty good.....but I still prefer a handshaker. The NV4500 5-speed is a VERY durable trans. Good Luck!!

looks like you need to be hoppin a plane to omaha. That one looks like a great deal. I too am a chevy guy and that one is nice. Couple things to consider. in '96 gm gas rigs changed to Vortec heads. Horsepower went from 210-255 on the 350 and from 235-290 on the 454. I had a '98 chevy 2500 xc lb 4x4 with the 6.5 turbo diesel. I liked it better than similar gas rigs that I towed with prior. Better gas milage and slightly better pulling power than 454s. The 4L80E trans in the HD gms in pretty good.....but I still prefer a handshaker. The NV4500 5-speed is a VERY durable trans. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the info. Yes, I like that Omaha rig, I wish I was closer to pulling the trigger. A few things need to fall into place before I'm ready to go.

I've got the NV4500 in my current truck. :thumbup:

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1309261734.html

That one looks like it would fit the bill. Unless, of course, you are set on a dually.

That is purdy.

But you know, those damn bench seats annoy me. And in a '97! C'mon now! As anyone with small critters knows, you need access to them while cruising to keep them happy and that great-wall-of-benchseatness would just be a PITA! (For my dear wife anyway, as I'm driving and she's the one on happiness duty)

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1308387805.html

'94 Chevy diesel quad cab, 4x4 long bed manual trans.

Bad thing about this year is that the quad cab doesn't have doors......

Oh, and I won't be searching for any Fords. Friends don't let friends drive Fords...... :D

And that is why you will NEVER have a REAL truck!! There is a reason Ford is the #1 truck!! You can lead a horse to water but getting him to drink is a whole different matter..........:twak:

And that is why you will NEVER have a REAL truck!!

Sorry Ira...... proved you wrong a long time ago. I've had a "real" truck since Feb. '05. :D

04dodgedually.jpg

P1012058.jpg

YOU sir are the stubborn horse........... :moon:

Last edited:
You only proved that the other 2 had awards aswell....BUT Ford still and always will have more awards and a better sales!! Especially now that GM took the bailout money and is under the thumb of Obama!! That rig you have is indeed a fine beast BUT the Ford Superduty is built better, performs better overall and has a larger following!! And all I can say for Dodge/Chrysler is ...... ouch!! :moon::patriot:

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah....... :rolleyes:

How 'bout we let NHTSA do the talking?

'04 Ford F350 Super Duty = 29 recalls/service bulletins

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm

'04 Dodge 3500 = 11 recalls/service bulletins

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm

Ford a better truck? Nah. Ford has a bigger following? Lemmings.......... :moon:

:D

Anybody can pull that crap!! If you really want to prove a point then gather ALL the info on ALL trucks from say the 1920's till now!! I bet we will see WHY Ford is #1 Then!! :conceited :laugh3:

Back