• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter install ?

Rotorwash

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just installed my new motor and went to put my tranny in. When I did I changed the tranny oil pump seal since I was there. I popped the torque converter on and continued on. When I went to mate up to the engine I couldn't quite get it to slide in. Just shy of the bolt threads.. maybe one thread or so on the one side. I thought that was odd so I rotated the engine a couple revolutions and it seemed to allow me to do it up.

Now I'm a bit concerned that I screwed something. Oil pump or TC. Is there any way to tell before I continue?

Thanks

You should of had to pull the converter to the flywheel after the bell housing bolts were tight. If the converter was keeping you from tightening the bell housing you may have jammed up the front pump and ruined it. Rotating the engine may have lined everything up, but there isn't any way to really know at this point.

Ok. So I guess I just continue with the install and hope for the best on start up?

I guess guess if it pours oil out the bell housing I know I've ruined the seal but what will the effect of a wrecked pump? No shift? All revs-No go ?

I've only ever dealt with manual gearboxes

Not sure, I've always been super careful to have it in correctly, so I don't know what happens on an incorrect install. The one time I knew a guy who screwed it up did it on a turbo 350 when you could just buy another for 50 bucks. I remember it puking fluid but I don't know how it acted.

Ok. So I guess I just continue with the install and hope for the best on start up?

I guess guess if it pours oil out the bell housing I know I've ruined the seal but what will the effect of a wrecked pump? No shift? All revs-No go ?

I've only ever dealt with manual gearboxes

Yeah, at this point if you think it's correctly seated (ie some forward-aft- movement prior to bolting up to the flex plate) fire it up and see what happens.

There are 3 different "engagements" to feel for when installing one.

Back