• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tornado Chasers on the Discovery channel?

Looking at the TIV and not knowing much about tornadoes, how well do you think the TIV2 would hold up in a tornado? I think the sheer dumb weight of it would hold it down on the ground along with the "deflectivity" of the armor. Hopefully we will get to see the TIV take a head on strike sometime during the season...

From the previews, it looks like they are going to shelf the TIV2 and use the TIV1. Looks like some tornado action for the scientific bunch. I hope they get an intercept this year.

Yeah, I'm hoping they get some good footage. I've always wanted to be a stormchaser.

What stock vehicle would you take onto a storm chase? I've always thought Nissans had good suspensions for that kind of action.

Somebody I went to high school with did that after we got out as a college class. They initially used the unibody f/s Chevy then Dodge vans, but switched to the body on frame f/s Ford vans for the last year he took that class. Guy who ran the program loved the Unibody vans since they'd do whatever was asked of them. The Ford vans were unreliable crap that kept getting stuck in muddy fields. The had to get one farmer to pull them out and he was suprised to see a Ford get stuck until he saw the engine badge and I think he said something to the effect "I've never seen a Ford get stuck.........oh, it's one of them Tritons":roflmao:

Yeah, it's gonna be intense.

I wish our provider offered Disc. channel in HD. They are "in the process" of offering it.

That show would be SO AWESOME in HD and 5.1.

Yea it would but hey if I cant get hd here at school, no one should haha jk. I actually have it in hd back home but I havent had a chance to watch it. That will have to be on the list of thanksgiving break things to do, along with a trip to rausch.

I wish the tiv team well. But I would definitely not drive into a tornado until the tiv was tested in a lab.

As we jeepers know, there is always that weak link lurking in the shadows as we continually push and punish our jeeps on and off road.

If the tiv can't drive down the road without breaking axles in half, I don't want to know what a tornado would do to it.

Holy hell the suspense on this show is killing me! I'm about ready to drop 2k on one of these tours during tornado season. I've been wanting to chase a tornado since I was about 10 years old. They really should upgrade some of the other vehicles on this show. Bulletproof windows for the hail, aux. lighting so they can see way ahead of them, a grille guard, and definitely all should be running at least BFG A/T's. All should be 4 wheel drive. I'm very surprised that the TIV is only 2 wheel drive.

Yea, I would love to do that one time, only one time. I bet its addicting though, biggest adrenaline rush ever. I doubt the aux lights would do much in conditions like that, no long range anyway maybe only immediately surrounding them.

I'd LOVE to be a stormchaser. All the vehicles should have some extra armor to prevent significant hail damage. Like, extra metal on the hood and roof. +2 on the bulletproof glass and beefy tires. When you knowingly are going into a situation like that, you should be at least half-way prepared.

THey should invest in some military-grade nightvision. Would be helpful in all of these night situations.

I wonder why the probe teams carry the probes so far away from the back of the truck? I'd like to just drop it at the tailgate and haul a**.

And the ones that the Pathfinder drops, they should be quick-setting. They should be able to pull the antenna shaft up, and it locks itself into place. Reduce the time for deployment.

I honestly don't understand the concept of the probes if you built the tiv.

Anyway I think it would be far more effective to get a remote control model airplane or rocket and fly it into the tornado. Not to mention it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and safer.

The TIV's main purpose is to sit in the middle of the Tornado and let Sean film it. The other probes are used simultaneously to get as much raw data as possible.

Back