• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Topo programs for the computer.

Any body have any links to info on converting/downloading info for Delorme Topo 9.0?

Any body have any links to info on converting/downloading info for Delorme Topo 9.0?

What kind of information?

Tracks/Waypoints/Routes? If so GPSBabel did a great job getting things from National Geographic Topo to DeLorme for me.

For DeLorme users I highly recommend getting the $30/year subscription. That gives you unlimited downloads of USGS topo maps and aerial imagery. The imagery seems gimmicky at first but I've used it to scout out a lot of trails.

I want to say I have version 8 but I don't recall offhand, I'm too lazy to get my navigation station out from under the desk. I'll try to remember to look when I get it out to program my 2m radio later on today.

I was wondering about their downloads. If they are quality, the cost is cheap.

I was dissapointed when I looked at the top of Imogene Pass by Teluride. They had the trail going the wrong way over the summit. Maybe the higher res downloads will be closer.

I was dissapointed when I looked at the top of Imogene Pass by Teluride. They had the trail going the wrong way over the summit. Maybe the higher res downloads will be closer.

Got coordinates?

Got coordinates?
Name: Imogene Pass
City/Town: Ouray
State/Admin: CO (Colorado)
ZIP/Postal Code: 81427
Category: Pass (Land Feature)
Match Status: Name Match
US County: Ouray County
Score: 88
Source: Western Map Points 2 (Volume: Topo North America 9.0 Western Region 2; Series: Topo North America 9.0 Data Series)
Coordinate: N37° 55.933', W107° 44.170'

Okay, time for some big pictures...

First I've got DeLorme Topo 7. I'm a couple versions back but my navigation machine isn't the newest computer so that works out just fine for me.

Now these images look cleaner on screen, their export map to image feature is a bit clunky. I could get it cleaner by working at it but I was lazy.

Here is the DeLorme data for the Iomegene Pass area at zoom level 13-5.
DeLorme13-5.jpg

USGS Topo, zoom 13-5.
USGS%20Topo13-5.jpg

B&W Aerial imagery, zoom 13-5
BWAerial13-5.jpg

B&W Aerial imagery, zoom 15-5
BWAerial15-5.jpg

Color Aerial imagery, zoom 13-5
ColorAerial13-5.jpg

Color Aerial imagery, zoom 15-5
ColorAerial15-5.jpg

Sat-10 Aerial imagery (10-meter coverage), zoom 12-0.
SAT10.jpg

As you can see it's really easy to trace out trails in some areas with the aerial imagery (obviously difficult in heavily wooded areas). You can overlay the DeLorme road data on top of any of these files (they call it Hybrid view).

They show from the top of the pass going west that the road follows the old pack trail to the north west, not back along the ridge to the south.

ColorAerial13-5.jpg

I have a laptop dedicated to use in the vehicle only with the Delorme software. I also want to install the software on my portable desktop so I can review routes and set things up while at home or in camp. Do you know if I can use the same subscription to download the imagery to both machines, or alternatively download on one machine and then move it over to the vehicle machine?

I have a laptop dedicated to use in the vehicle only with the Delorme software. I also want to install the software on my portable desktop so I can review routes and set things up while at home or in camp. Do you know if I can use the same subscription to download the imagery to both machines, or alternatively download on one machine and then move it over to the vehicle machine?

While I haven't done so I'm sure you can move the imagery around, it's just files in a folder. I'm unsure if you can share the subscription as I only have the DeLorme products on my navigation laptop.

If you've got an iPhone or iPod touch, you might want to check out Motion X GPS.

Works well enough for me.

I downloaded the Motion X GPS Lite app last week to my iPod Touch, hoping that it worked with my Magellan iPod car kit, and to my surprise it works great! I've only set a few waypoints and messed around with the breadcrumbs a little and it is rather straight forward. I'm really excited about using this app! I'm going to buy the complete app so I can use additional maps with greater detail. Great suggestion! Thanks!

I'm just about to build my laptop mount. I am using a couple of year old laptop. I got my 12v to laptop adapter and my usb gps puck. Now only have to wait for my new laptop battery. I also have a thumb ball mouse replacement.

It should work out fine. It's time to dust off the sheetmetal shear and press brake to whip out a mount. Right now the wife's car is taking up the shop and it is -20 outside, so I have to wait.

Anybody whip out a sun shield for the display?

Another alternative is that I have a 7" LCD display I picked up when I was in China. I have thought about mounting the laptop under the back seat and simply run a display up front and the thumb ball.

Back