• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tools I Rarely Use

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
OK, this is tech but not necessarily Jeep specific. I did buy these for my 1988 Laredo but Mods may decide to move this.

Like many of you, I always use problems with my Jeep as an opportunity to buy new tools. Some end up being "one trick ponies" or maybe "two trick".

A friend of mine asked me if i had an "AC recharge kit". His is a 1967 El Dorado. After clarifying what he needed I replied Yes I do!

I bought the manifold set and connectors when the compressor in my Laredo blew up. I posted pics of the failure here 8 years ago! http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=954436

I used them again a few months ago to recharge my AC after blowing warm for the last 2 years. I still had some R-12 I bought 8 years ago when I did the repair. Yes, I am Sect 609 Certified.

That got me thinking about other tools I bought that have seen limited use.

So here's my manifold set and connectors. Used only twice to check my AC used only on Sundays to drive to Church and back. ;)

20161015_173801_zpsacrw8ps9.jpg

So what do you have for your Jeep that rarely sees the light of day?

I also have the steering wheel and lock plate pullers. Used twice as well. Really only once, I messed up the first time.

Steering wheel tool, slide hammer, piston compression tool, a wedge tool for timing chain while replacing ford 5.4 phasers only used once , a bunch of others that are useful only once in awhile. I have a tool box of unique tools, just so I can find them when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think have any tools that have been used only once, except a valve spring compressor which is about to get used for the second time in 2 years. My problem is finding some of them once every 4-5 five years, when I finally need them. After 45 years I have 2-3 each of those tools, LOL, because I could not find them when I needed them.

Some tools will be useful more than once, just haven't been yet. Found a valve spring compressor I forgot I had. I forgot in did the valves on the 318 I rebuilt for my dad years ago.
Spring compressor from a suspension job.
Swivel head spark plug socket for the f150s plugs.
The pickle forks aren't as useful as I'd hoped, universal ball joint tool works better.
Some of the tools are for specific jobs that haven't come up again. Ac line, fuel lines stuff like that are a pain to find when they are really needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did my steering wheel (loose tilt bolts), I "rented" the lock plate tool from Autozone. At the time it was only $20 so I kept it.

Another time, I got a pickle fork too when I did some TREs but I did return that one.

GM made sure you had to buy a special tool to adjust your idle mixture. I junked that car 20 years ago, but I still have that driver.

Luckily I rarely use my Block tester (used 3 times) and Radiator pressure tester (used once I think, maybe twice), but I have them bad hair days LOL.

I have a 4 foot long solid steel crow bar for removing storm drain / sanitary sewer steel cover plates that I now use for a pry bar on misc stuff, including stubborn jeeps LOL. Used it yesterday to reset a 70 year old garage door spring tension length so the door will stay open with out a 2x4 holding it up. :)

What about one time use home made tools for our jeeps. I recall some hand made ones for the Renix Oil filter adapter plate to get the Torx bolt out.

The easy winner in this category is the lock plate tool for pulling the steering wheel. My 20 ton hydraulic press doesn't see much action either. Stud remover for 1/2" drive ratchet; valve stem installing tool (never used); E Torx sockets; analog multi meter; and I'm sure there are others.

I blame my dad and grandfather because growing up I was always taught that when you need a tool you go buy one.

The little Torx 60 bit I knocked out of some cheap Harbor Freight Torx socket so I could clear the motor mount or fender or whatever it was when I replaced the seals in my oil filter adapter. I still have it in my tool box, but luckily it doesn't take up much room lol.

i bought a bunch of old tools off of my friend years ago not really knowing what they did at that time. but the giant valve spring compressor worked great! (apparently thats what that contraption was) i also have a torque wrench with a 1in drive. no idea what i'll use that for. and it weighs a ton.

The little Torx 60 bit I knocked out of some cheap Harbor Freight Torx socket so I could clear the motor mount or fender or whatever it was when I replaced the seals in my oil filter adapter. I still have it in my tool box, but luckily it doesn't take up much room lol.
You'll get to use that one again...

I've got a lot of specialty gauges like compression, fuel pressure, ac manifold, etc.. Each purchase saved me money compared to paying a shop to do the work so they all paid for themselves. I've got a specialty Vida scanner for our volvo, I had the vagcom setup for my audi.. These tools are priceless when you've got an issue. If you go to the mechanic, you don't need these things...but if you maintain your own vehicles than they're a necessity.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Each purchase saved me money compared to paying a shop to do the work so they all paid for themselves.
These tools are priceless when you've got an issue. If you go to the mechanic, you don't need these things...but if you maintain your own vehicles than they're a necessity.
Exactly. Just about every special tool bought has paid for itself the first time it's used, compared to having it done by others.
I geared up a few years ago to set up axles. After the third set of gears, the tools were paid for. I still get a lot use out of the hydraulic press, saving many trips to the machine shop.

Oil pressure gauge

Fuel pressure gauge.

Only used a handful of times.

I've almost Never used it. Only to verify I was getting good pressure.

Lol. With 326,000 and some change on the odometer (and what I suspect is the original engine) the next time I'll be running through those seals, the whole engine will probably be out of the Heep and on a stand...

The (much) more experienced people on this board say to plan on changing the OFA O-rings about every three years. I had to look, but yes, I just changed mine again: http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246006857&postcount=3147

Back