• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool for door hinges

mcraindog

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where i can find a tool to get that off with. It's a star tool but i can't find anything small enough to fit in there to get them off?

Torx bits.....

I used torx bits that are "L" shaped like allen keys, very slow but works good. I could only get to the front ones with the socket type that goes on the ratchet.

Yes, you need very short ones. If you're lucky you might be able to find two-piece bits for 3/8 inch drive, take the bit out of the holder, and use an open end wrench or even a small ratcheting box. It might also be possible to take a two piece bit, saw the top end down with an abrasive cutter, and shorten it enough. The design assumes that the doors go on before the fenders and come off after. With the fenders off, you can do it easily through the holes.

When there's not enough room to use a ratchet/wrench/small bit combo, I took the bit itself and clamped it in a pair of visegrips and used that to get them out. Slow but effective. Then replace the darn things w/some grade 8 bolts.

TXRIVERRAT said:
I used torx bits that are "L" shaped like allen keys, very slow but works good. I could only get to the front ones with the socket type that goes on the ratchet.

What the ..Rat says is right but I have a little set from HF that fit in a 1/4" drive 5/16" socket and a universal with a ratchet. Broke it loose with the allen type "L" shaped key then used the socket to get it out. Reversed everything when putting it all back. Try that.
Should have suggested that in my prior post. Sorry.

TXRIVERRAT said:

yea those are the only ones i can get to also...i can find any of the "star" shaped tools that are L shaped...

I got mine from Autozone. Came in a set of 4 or 5.

On my 99' it's a T40, Solid, Not the hollow ones. Look in the middle you'll see the difference. I've broke the hollow one's taking my doors off.

Back