• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken Rock Sliders

well 1x3 which is what they typically use for the legs... Would be cheap. 3/16" would be ideal but I'd settle even for 1/8" .. you'd need probably like 30". Say maybe 20$ in steel for extra legs... Idk what your prices are around there.

If I were to do it, I'd add 3 additional frame mounts using 2" square tubing 3/16" thick with an 3/16" "L" bracket at the frame. I'd also weld pinch seam mounts to those additional frame mounts as well. I think that would be plenty strong.

And to answer your question XJ_ranger, I have neither time OR money. Haha. I've got pile of parts in my garage for my Jeep that need installed but have no time to do it. As for money, I've depleted my Jeep account on said parts.

Most of the manufactures' instructions are pretty bad or limited. You often have to go through what you experienced. Look at instructions, scratch head, lay out parts, look at Jeep, scratch head, hold part in place, get beer, repeat... Finally it starts to make sense. Warning: More beer makes things easier and go together faster but you might find out that someone snuck into your garage and f***ed things up over night when you look at it the next day.

I only have a Tomken tank skid but I love it.

Last edited:
I as well am looking at tomken for a gas skid. Just dont think all the work to beef up their sliders is worth it.

There are better versions out there. The jcr crusader sliders look pretty slick. But are more expensive. IMO thats what you should be spending on armor you will likely land on unintentionally.

Start with stiffeners. Then weld on whatever you decide to go with.

Last edited:
Not sure which slider direction to go. The Tomken sliders CAN be beefed, or I could buy a new set that require no additional beefing. Which is cheaper/most practical in the end? To pay return shipping and extra cost of more expensive sliders or to beef up the ones I have to make them potentially stronger than say... JCR sliders?

Off topic, but I'm digging the paint job MikeMc. I'm really considering going desert tan. I've already bought new emblems and black plasti dip for them when I decide to repaint. My current white has seen better days.

Off topic, but I'm digging the paint job MikeMc. I'm really considering going desert tan. I've already bought new emblems and black plasti dip for them when I decide to repaint. My current white has seen better days.
Thanks. I've started doing all the minor repairs with desert tan. Eventually it will be camo.

On the JCR sliders. I have the stage-3 (I think they only have this 1 type now) and found if you take a super hard hit they will get pushed up and your door won't open. I ended up cutting the tubes off and re-welding flat. While I still think they're a good idea for light to moderate wheeling if you're "challenging" you and your rigs ability they don't work well.

Sell your current sliders, and use that plus what is necessary to get plug n pray sliders

Sell your current sliders, and use that plus what is necessary to get plug n pray sliders

Do you have any brands that are close in price to the Tomkens... especially if I take a return shipping/selling private party loss.

My "Jeep Fund" is limited. My better half hates the idea of it as it is (she'd rather spend it on shopping/shows/dinners, etc...) so if I have to add back in to it to re-buy another set of sliders, the price has to be reasonable. :)

You get what you pay for. If you cant fab then you pay more. Anything in tomken price range will be ok for mild wheeling at best. But if you land on them they will buckle. Just google search "xj sliders" and there are dosens of companies making them.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/skink_sliders.htm
These are advertized as being bolt on. However i would highly recommend doing stiffeners and then welding the plates on. Looks like decent fab work though.

Last edited:
Back