• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toggle switch for winch

You don't need to run them into the cab. They are 12v power supply for the solenoids and ground for the power. Pick up 12 v inside the cab from the fuse block, your choice on switched or not, and run a ground wire to ground.

Hit the warn industries site. the schematics are on their site.

ight, i checked out the schematics on the warn site.

so, from what i gather the three that are on the switch are green brown and black. one power in and one power to IN and one power to OUT.?

the other 2 wires that are not on the switch are white which is 12V pos (which can also have a killswitch) and a red which is ground?

-Tim

goodluck finding an SPDT (on)/off/(on) switch. Ive been looking for the right one for quite some time. At this point im considering just wiring 2 SPST (on)/off switches to get what i want.

KLXJ said:
Got any pics??

Here's how I did mine about a year and a half ago (Ramsey REP 8000).The switches I got from Led- dont know where he got them.
Red "winch in" and Black "winch out" are spring-loaded, momentery switches.
Orange switch is "power on/off" which is also wired to a flashing green l.e.d. mounted in the dash to indicate that the winch is "hot".

Solenoid mounted under the hood.

P7030004.jpg

Switches mounted in center console.

P7030006.jpg

P7030007.jpg

I've run across this site in the past and it seems to be pretty good for this stuff hope it helps www.12voltguy.com Good Luck

DaffyXJ said:
Piece of cake, just did this a couple weeks ago.
3 wires control the solenoids. green, brown and black. Run these into the cab. I ran them in the passenger side on my 01 XJ through the grommet for the fan/a.c controls near the condensor canister. Pick up 12 volts inside the cab and run a short piece to ground. Use a single pole, double throw on-off-on switch. The green and brown control the solenoids in and out, common ground for the solenoids, 12 v power and ground to the center contact on the switch. pick a spot, drill a hole, throw on a red guard switch and you're done.
Great mod, no more running around with the remote cable hanging out the window, or getting rolled up in the window, the control unit doesn't flop around, and the winch is readily available when you need it.
Oh yeah, I have an M-8000 also.

Good luck

This is an older thread, but the best I could find for an in-cab winch control for a 5 pin warn m8000. I'm obviously electrically challenged becasue I'm not understanding how to wire this up - so an explanation that a 5th grader could get would be greatly apprecitated.

I have a spst guarded switch to arm a spdt momentary toggle (which operates the winch). The guarded switch has two contacts and the momentary has three. I ran the green, brown, and black wires from the winch controller into the cab.

Is this right?
Run power from fuse box to a contact on the guarded (spst) switch.
Then from the other contact on the guarded switch to the center contact on the momentary switch.
The brown wire goes on the top contact of the momentary switch.
The green wire goes on the bottom contact of the momentary switch.
The black wire attaches to the middle contact of the momentary switch. (???)
And grounds go where?

Thanks for any help,

tim

Go to NAPA they have all kinds of that stuff.

there is a guy who does custom in dash switch panels - 12 volt guy and he has a website too

he has done a lot of cherokees and can get you situated

Well, the last two responses totally missed it. Their suggestion was where to buy parts. I have the parts. My question is "how do I hook it up?"

If you know anything about wiring up an in-cab switch for a warn m8000 winch please chime in because I need the help. My question is clearly stated two posts back.

thanks,

tim

tdr1213 said:
Well, the last two responses totally missed it. Their suggestion was where to buy parts. I have the parts. My question is "how do I hook it up?"

If you know anything about wiring up an in-cab switch for a warn m8000 winch please chime in because I need the help. My question is clearly stated two posts back.

thanks,

tim

In that case go to www.piercewrecker.com look at their winch section, they have wiring diagrams for what you want to do.

We wired up in-cab control for a 12K warn on my buddies CJ. Take the top off the solonoid box. There's 2 solonoids inside. Run a second wire from each one, back into the cab. If you want, you can also run a 3rd wire from the winch power. Inside the cab, use a momentary contact SPDT switch. Do not use 2 separate switches. Do not use a switch that will lock into the "ON" position. How would you like to be driving down the road at, say, 60mph and find out you're draging 50' of cable behind you(or wrapped around your drive shaft?)
As a further safety measure, wire a momentary contact button next to the winch control switch, so you have to press the button while holding the switch in the spool in/out position.(Only takes 2 fingers of the same hand, but you're not likely to hit them both accidentally)

The way you wire it:
hot lead into button.
out of button into center pole of SPDT switch
one wire from each solonoid to each outer pole of the SPDT switch.

The advantage/disadvantage of using a hot lead from the winch:
Even if the interior electronics are fried, as long as the battery is connected to the winch, the controller will work.

We got all of our switches, etc. from NAPA

Back