• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Todays dumb question ( tech )

Rock2pus

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've been sitting on a couple 60's for my black jeep and am ready to pull the pin on buying some parts. Since it is streeted quite a bit, I'm lost on locker selection, but want more than the truetracs I'm running now. I'll more than likely be bumping up to 35's so I'm not concerned with stress, just rock solid durability. More than likely a selectable for the front, but for the rear.....
I'm considering a full spool. I can live with the tire scrub, and most sources say the road handling is more predictable than a Detroit, especially in rain and snow. The price is obviously attractive. Thoughts?

Go for it. And 37s for diff clearance my 44 diff finds every thang

I put a 60 in the back of Gomer. Still running 33s, so clearance is a bit of an issue. But with the shave, I don't think it's any worse than a 44. Besides, after the shave, the bottom of the diff is a nice 4" wide ramp that is double plated 3/8" thick steel. Makes for a perfectly fine skid plate.

I chose an ARB. Yes, expensive, but perfect street manners, and of course ready when needed. ARBs service is second to none, and that has a lot of weight with me.

I also narrowed the axle to standard XJ width. Almost can't tell there is a 60 under there, until you look under, see the Artec truss, and realize there are certain proportions off...

David Bricker / SYR

Selectable rear, lockrite or spool frt. I have no regrets about the spool in the rear but it does drag the rear in tight corners, dosn't matter 4wd, fwd or rwd

Of course I'll be running lockout hubs in the front, so spooling that as well doesn't scare me. Rob, does the rear spool affect turning radius that much on the trail? I'm glad I get the chance to ask someone who's running one, I've seen how tight f&f is so you would know.

Axles are narrowed but not completely to stock width..I've gone 4" wider total for a bit more on side hills , my flat flares can still cover to keep me legit in NJ

Yeah, you can't really narrow down a front 60 to stock width. Not enough room for the knuckles, etc. My hope is that I don't ever change out my front 30, since I don't expect to ever run larger than a 35.

Spool in front with locking hubs, selectable in the rear makes a lot of sense. Only advantage for selectable in front is to be able to turn much easier when you don't need to be fully locked.

David Bricker / SYR

Rich, I'd go selectable in the rear. With a locker in the front, and your tires turned, the front will pull you in the direction turned. With a locker in the rear, and your tires turned, the rear will want to continue to push you straight.

ARB in my rear D60 and I love it. Noticeable difference in turning radius with it unlocked.

Of course I'll be running lockout hubs in the front, so spooling that as well doesn't scare me. Rob, does the rear spool affect turning radius that much on the trail? I'm glad I get the chance to ask someone who's running one, I've seen how tight f&f is so you would know.

yeah it tends to drag the rear around corners instead of turning, I tend to use trees to help me pivot though. With being said there cheap and always work. If I had the money I would of done a ARB rear though

Yea that's the thing. Budget. I need to keep some bucks in reserve since I'm committed now with the spider9's in the 98...once you get the housings you realize you're almost forced to use their parts ( brakes, etc...) if you want to keep the assembly simple. I'm not a fan of Frankenstein builds, and the stuff is top shelf, just cost a mint...yeesh.

Yes. I am also spooled in the rear.
If I was to do it again I would love to put a selectable back there, but a budget is a budget.

Selectable rear, lockrite or spool frt. I have no regrets about the spool in the rear but it does drag the rear in tight corners, dosn't matter 4wd, fwd or rwd

Rich, I'd go selectable in the rear. With a locker in the front, and your tires turned, the front will pull you in the direction turned. With a locker in the rear, and your tires turned, the rear will want to continue to push you straight.

ARB in my rear D60 and I love it. Noticeable difference in turning radius with it unlocked.

x2 on selectable rear. having run a selectable in the front and lock right in the rear with my big(er) axles it DID make a difference locking the front at highway speed in 4wd in the snow.... the difference? I preferred driving with the front locked.

Get a selectable for the rear, or just spool both.

Back