• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To winch or not to winch that is the ?

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I now have a "trail" rig XJ and a newer model off the beaten path XJ. My trail rig had two drawbacks... not limited to these two but they bugged me. I had a Nates 4x4 slimline winch bumper and the 2.5L engine. The engine was more than adequate off road but lacked on the open road built as is. No way could I tow my off-road trailer.

So I resolved the on road issues with the newer 4.0L XJ. The biggest issue with the front bumper was approach angle otherwise a nicely built bumper.

As a resolve I bought JCR front and rear bumpers for the offroad XJ and moved the front winch bumper and the rear JCR spare tire bumper to the newer XJ. Now the off road XJ has solid bumpers and extraction points but no winch. BUT this gives me a lot better approach and departure angles.

A lot of BS to ask but... will I regret not having the winch??? Honestly in the past I used it a lot more for others and usually a strap and tug did fine for me.

Ummm....that's best answered by yourself. My winch as been used very rarely, but this last time, I sure was glad to have it. Would I miss it? 99% of the time no. But that 1% when I did miss it, I'd really miss it.

Back