• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Stroke or not to Stroke?

Will it pass smog in CA?

Discussion with a smog ref is necessary. I know of a few smog legal LSx swapped XJ MJ in CA. Do not know details. Pretty much need everything emissions related from the donor vehicle.

ah.. i only ask cause i could have swore there was someone on here doing a 4.7 stroker on the .030" overbore, but i cant remember the configuration. ive been searching for months so im thinking it was a dream.

To the OP ... there is no replacement for displacement, if you have the money and time then there's nothing like a LS swap, lots of power and very reliable but be prepared for alot of work and $$. I plan to do a stroker myself but only because ive got 2 inline 6's in my garage, and a limited budget
A .030 overbore yields a 4.6L stroker

I've noticed this trend as well - the guys who rebuild engines w/o spending proper cash have had all sorts of issues, while the guys with 5 G's into their motors have little issues.

You can get a very reliable stroker for 3K.

You can get a 325 horsepower stroker for 3K.

You can't get both. You've just seen the guys who want a quality motor also going after a lot of power. There are a lot of really reliable $2500 strokers out there that guys just dont brag about.

If you want to consider a stroker, call up Russ Pottenger at Bishop-Buehl and discuss it with him. His motors are well put together, very reliable, and reasonably priced. If you want to go full retard and push the 350 horsepower mark, he can do that too.. (but then you'll pay for it).

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email [email protected]

Will it pass smog in CA?

im starting a build now that will pass smog. In other words, I am taking the right steps to make it pass the referee. I think calling the ref ahead of time so you have an idea of what they are going to check is a necessity. From what I gather, its not as hard as some would make you believe, but you have to do your research and not just jump in without planning it out. Hardest part I am anticipating is fitting the stock truck cats without front driveshaft interference. You should be able to do a 5.3L swap smog legal for under $3k if you wait for the right deals, $5k would make it pretty easy to get done and you will have way more potential than a $5k stroker.

Back