• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Sleeve or Not To Sleeve

I have a 220 volt Clarke 160EZ welder, but Im talking purely on technique, heating, running a bead or just piling tack welds on top of each other or doing a section at a time... stuff like that

what about the tubes, can i just run a bead on them or should i do a section at a time? should I preheat? do i need to use an acetylene torch to preheat or is a little plumbers torch ok

what about the tubes, can i just run a bead on them or should i do a section at a time? should I preheat? do i need to use an acetylene torch to preheat or is a little plumbers torch ok
if you have a sufficient number of tacks and a tight enough fit you can just run beads on the tube, for really large welds, i recommend back stepping your welds at 3 inch intervals, and stagger/ cross welding just to be safe.

for pre-heating, i recommend an oxy acetylene torch set up, the propane torches are slow to heat so you waste gas and time. welding the knuckles is pre-heat to help normalize the welds ( prevent brittle welds due to the mass of the knuckle drawing the heat away and cooling the welds too fast, with adequate pre-heat, post heat is not necessary on the knuckles but it wont hurt if you post heat too. )

welding the differential is a NI-Rod ( or high nickel wire ) pre and post heat process, i do not recomend most people try this at home since the rid is so damn expentive and the cast will reack if not done right!!!!

Just my $.02

Dan Turner from Loose Nuts Enterprises welded it up on the trail with 3 car batteries and some welding rod. Kejtar ran the entire Rubicon on it, and then drove 400 miles home.

239767126203_0_BG.jpg

I already posted about sleeving in another thread, but I just had to reply to this one too. After seeing this, I needed to say:

Dan, You 'da Man!

I do everything well but Weld and Paint (I can, but not well enough to even think of trying something like this!) Bada$$!

sleeve, truss, knuckle gussets, lca skids, box in uca mount on pass side. you will be happy.

Back