• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires sqeaks when turning...

yea Im almost positive its the u-joints because today I decided to take a look and see if I could see anything that was out of place so I took off both front wheels and noticed no play in either of them and it only squeaks when I turn so thats most likly it...

onto the next problem... I have no experience with replacing u-joints so Im going to do spin each tire thing like Stormwalker said and find which one I need... goto napa tommorow and buy it but from there Im stomped is there any write-ups on replacing u-joints or can you guys give me a sort of walk-through on the process?

and last question is it going to a bad idea to drive it as is because my only other option of transportation is an 85 ford with 39'' ground hawgs and there awful in the rain and we seem to have alot of that at the moment so I think it would be just as safe to take my chances in the jeep... unless ofcourse that would be completely stupid of me...

thanks a ton guys

Ok so I jacked it up and checked for bad u-joints... the driverside is bad and then just to be sure I checked for bad bearings and the passenger side has play in it/a slight wobble... not a ton but I have a feeling that its been like that for a while ever since I got it lifted I have heard like a vibration or like a wind tunnel sound if you know what I mean coming from the right front tire I cant feel it in the steering wheel but I can hear a sound I didnt think it was anything major though so I just kept on driving... so Im guessing that needs new bearings in it and a u-joint on the other side so I need to goto napa with like 175 bucks and try to figure it out myself or should I take it to a shop?

It's not hard to do yourself. Replace both u-joints and the bad "unit hub" you can't just replace bearings you need to replace the whole hub and it's a bolt on thing.

if you're in a bind, advance auto has a "dynapak" hub assembly for like $68. It's probably some cheap chinese bearings, but cheap chiniese is better than failing.

1. Remove the cotter pins and the large 22mm wheel nut.
2. Remove the wheels.
3. Remove the brake calipers and tie them up.
4. Remove the 5 bolts holding the hubs on.
5. Remove the hubs.

Removing C-Clip axles.

1. Remove differential cover.
2. Remove cross pin retaining bolt.
3. Remove cross pin.
4. Remove C-Clip retainers.
5. Remove C-Clips and pull axles.

Changing U-Joints.

1. Remove all the c-clips.
2. Place axle in a strong vice with one cap up.
3. Using a flat 3/4" punch or bolt and heavy hammer drive the cap as far as you can, driving the other side out far enough to pull it the rest of the way.

4. Turn the axel over and drive the u-joint back to remove the other cap.

5. Repeat until all caps are removed.
6. Use sandpaper to clean the holes where the caps are seated real good, no rust at all.

7. Get a new u-joint and twist as you remove the four caps.
8. Tip the u-joint cross into one hole and hold it up as far as you can and place a cap on it.
9. Hold the cross up in the cap at all times and Tap the cap in flush.

10. Turn the axle over and raise the cross up through the hole and place a cap on it and drive it flush agaim while holding the cross in the cap.

11. Repeat for the other seven caps and then install the c-clips.

To be continued:

Last edited:
87manche- I checked advance's online store and it has the dynapak listed at $139 unless thats for both of the hubs and that may be the only way they are sold? I dunno

Langer1- Thanks for all the help

langer1 said:
1. Remove the cotter pins and the large 22mm wheel nut.
2. Remove the wheels.
3. Remove the brake calipers and tie them up.
4. Remove the 5 bolts holding the hubs on.
5. Remove the hubs.

Removing C-Clip axles.

1. Remove differential cover.
2. Remove cross pin retaining bolt.
3. Remove cross pin.
4. Remove C-Clip retainers.
5. Remove C-Clips and pull axles.

Changing U-Joints.

1. Remove all the c-clips.
2. Place axle in a strong vice with one cap up.
3. Using a flat 3/4" punch or bolt and heavy hammer drive the cap as far as you can, driving the other side out far enough to pull it the rest of the way.

4. Turn the axel over and drive the u-joint back to remove the other cap.

5. Repeat until all caps are removed.
6. Use sandpaper to clean the holes where the caps are seated real good, no rust at all.

7. Get a new u-joint and twist as you remove the four caps.
8. Tip the u-joint cross into one hole and hold it up as far as you can and place a cap on it.
9. Hold the cross up in the cap at all times and Tap the cap in flush.

10. Turn the axle over and raise the cross up through the hole and place a cap on it and drive it flush agaim while holding the cross in the cap.

11. Repeat for the other seven caps and then install the c-clips.

To be continued:

If it's a d-30 front there are no c-clips. Also there are only 3 bolts holding the unit bearing on.

langer1- thanks a ton that is very helpful... and yea the wheather is amazing :( so yea

thanks guys for all the help Ill let you know how it goes... It may take a while to get together the funds because Im still in school working off a tight budget so Im gonna have to roll in the kia sportage for a couple of days :eek:

Back