• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires:how much taller?

On my old 88 XJ with a manual tranny I went from 215's to 30" tires and I noticed a significant drop in power, especially up in the mountains. 30" tires looked nice but I didn't like the loss of power with stock gears. I could barely keep up with traffic on I-70, unless of course I dropped it down to 3rd just to keep it up at 65mph..

Eagle said:
Nebraska is pretty flat. You'll be able to use 5th gear on the highway, but you WILL lose performance, and you WILL lose gas mileage. My XJ is a 5-speed with stock gears, I've been there and done that. I use the 30s only for going off-road, but the 4 hour drive from home to Paragon with the bigger tires on makes me very aware of the difference.

I am currently running a set of half-used up 235/75R15 BFGs, but when they are finished off I'll go back to 225s for the economy. My XJ actually got the best gas mileage when I was on the original 205/75 tires that came on it. Every increase in tire size has hurt the mileage, which just confirms what I have always thought -- 3.07 is too tall for axle gearing in the XJ.
Did you notice much change in your speedo as you went up from the 205/75's?

hammerhead said:
Did you notice much change in your speedo as you went up from the 205/75's?
The speedo was reading faster than I was driving with the 205s. It was about accurate with 215s, and the difference from 215s to 30x9.50s is about 6% -- which means you'll be driving 53 MPH when the speedo reads 50.

I've got a 90 XJ(4.0, 5spd 4x4) with 2-3" of lift in the rear and 30x5.9's which measure out at a tad over 31" and it rubs on the frame on the driver's side at full lock.

I did a road-trip not that long ago and I got 525 miles on a full 20 gallon tank of gas.

I don't know how it works, it just does...

hicksrcool426 said:
im thinking of lifting about 2 inches, but im not sure how it would look with my 235's. do u have any pictures?

Not my Jeep but I know it has a 2" and 235/75/R15
436619_132.jpg

Back