• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires for lifted DD

ok i haven't read all of this thread but has anyone mentioned firestone destination M/T's. i'm running a set of 31's on mine now and i got them used with about a year and a half of wheeling and mileage and they dont look a day old, smooth on the street and great in the dirt, and i drive a few hundred miles a week, they also take to airsoft balancing really well

ok I'll throw my hat into the ring on some tires. I am assuming you are looking for more of an at rather than mt more street manners offroad second.

Pirelli Scorpion A/T
This is probably the most True all terrain tire I have had. They were excellent in the snow. In fact they outperformed a set of dedicated snow tires I ran on my ZJ, I got them as a single set rather than running two sets. They were great for dirt and rock traction. They had as good of mud performance that you could expect from a at tire. Street manners were great supurb cornering and higher than usuall speed rating. They were a little noisy and are known for weak sidewalls.

BF Goodrich Land Terrain (generic version of AT sold by wal mart)
These are relatively new on my work truck, but I run 100 miles per day tons of road and heavy offroad( go up to cell sites), traditionally I go with a mud tire for the work truck, but I am sick of loose crappy ice traction. I havent had them long. But road manners are pretty good, a little loose feeling at times, quiet and smooth riding though, dirt and rock performance are good, and mud performance seems fairly good, maybe a little less the the scorpions. I dont know as for snow and Ice yet.

Sport Kings
My last work truck tires
These are beasts, they really are a good dual purpose tire. They have good road manners, better the the BFG, but are rougher riding and more noisey. Good in the snow and ice, maybe a little less than the scorpions. Mud they are very close to mud tire performance really amazing for a at, not a bogger but great, great dirt and rock. I couldnt find these any more.

Firestone Destination M/T
These are beasts
probably the best non super swamper brand tire for off road performance.
Really good in mud, man these things shed, be prepared for massive chunks of smacking the roof. Dirt and rock performance is wonderful also, they do tend to dig in loose dirt as any extreme traction tire. Snow great if its deep, poor if its light road, ice suck mania. Road manners are suprisingly good, good ride pretty quiet, but pretty squirley at high speeds.

Big ot XT
Good all around tires. About as good in the mud as the sport kings and good on the street a little rough but fairly quiet. Good on snow ok for ice, good dirt and rock

bridgestone AT
These wer good all around tires but a dissapointment overall, they just didnt live up to the scorpions they replaced, they were good in snow and ice, poor mud and fair dirt rock, they also wore really quickly.

there are many more but its getting long in the tooth, I would run Scorpion A/t's the new BFG's are promissing, the sport kings are great, they are getting harder to find. The BFG KO's are good, as are the at2's which have already been covered.

Atl XJ said:
How did you like your geolanders in the rain? Mine were horrible.

X3 on the Geolander AT+2's. They wore great, were quiet, excellent in the snow and wet (I thought they were outstanding in the rain), and were a great all around tire for a reasonable price. I had LT 265/75R16, load range D on my Dodge Dakota...got them for $125 each delivered from Summit.

I'm running 31x10.50x15 BFG AT's on my DD XJ now and love them, although I've always had great results with these tires...wear great, good off road traction (for an AT), smooth, and quiet.

If you want a more aggressive tire that does well as a DD, look at the Goodyear MTR's, which I've also had great results with as far as noise/comfort, as well as great off road performance. They're a little noisier than a true "AT", and wear a bit quicker.

Last edited:
i have some 31 Star Trail buster m+s that i use for dd, and swampers for wheelin.
The stars are great on long highway trips, rain, snow, they look aggressive and they're CHEAP. kinda tough too, took them out crawlin a couple of times and had them aired down to 13 psi. handled it beautifully.

i've had them for about 15k miles and they wear evenly and slow. i still have about 3/4 tread left.

somethin to think about

I run BFG AT on my DD and couldn't be happier with them. I've got 40K miles on them and they look almost new. As a DD tire I wouldn't run anything else.

Now having said tghat a friend of mine wheeled them on his TJ, they worked well in anything that wasn't mud. in mud they feel up completely and turn into BFG Bald terrains.

Back